Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

What was your MPG in your 2021 Sienna?

481 - 493 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
From my experience with a Prius and now this Sienna, Toyota's MPG calculator tends to be about 5%± too optimistic, so you may find out that in reality you clocked 40 mpg or 5.9L/100 km. Nonetheless, this is incredibly high fuel efficiency for a vehicle of this size.

I shall not comment about the Smart car :)
I've been tracking the km and L on fill-up, and it's been pretty accurate. I've been shocked at how far I can go between filling up. Once I put the 2" lift kit and snow tires on I expect significantly worse mileage for the winter.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I've been tracking the km and L on fill-up, and it's been pretty accurate. I've been shocked at how far I can go between filling up. Once I put the 2" lift kit and snow tires on I expect significantly worse mileage for the winter.
Winters are generally bad for mileage (see, there no good equivalent to "mileage" and "MPG's" in the metric system🤓). I remember getting 40-45 mpg in a Prius, which averaged 53-something.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I just did my 4th fill up at 1800 miles. The first tank I got just a hair over 40mpg. This tank it's down to 34mpg with an overall 37. We will have switched over to winter gas the last two tanks, so this isn't surprising, plus with the cooler temps, the ICE is starting almost as soon as I've backed out of the driveway. Hopefully, the 34ish mpg will stand for the rest of winter, then back up to 40. Still a big improvement over the 15 (winter) - 18 (summer) I was getting with the big V8 5.3L.

·
Registered
2022 XSE+TP AWD
147 Posts
I think it's a common knowledge that on most real-life, let's say 50 mile commute routes speeding doesn't save much more time than tailgating or frenetic lane changes :)

In addition to making fewer visits to the gas station, there are one or two other benefits of conservative driving that I can think of:

• Reducing the odds of dying and/or killing others in an accident situation.
  • Avoiding getting pulled over
  • Prolonging the trouble-free life of the vehicle and reducing its maintenance costs
  • Emitting less pollutants
  • ADDED BONUS - it has just occurred to me that habitual aggressive drivers subject themselves to avoidable stress, which can lead to all kinds of physical, psychological and cognitive problems.
Also, it's a fact of life and no longer a conspiracy theory that your new car has the black box and is connected to the mothership in some way. It would be naïve to assume that Mother Toyota, your insurance company and the law will never peek into your black box.
I'm being one of those guys, how does not rush at all. Why I should stress myself? There are enough idiots people on the roads, who are willing to kill themselves (I don't care about that), but who might take someone else with them.

Earlier this week so the guy, who ended up in the ditch. Subzero temp (-1C), the guy driving a truck on almost bold tires, but changing the lanes very aggressively. Does those "saved" minute or two worth it? I don't think so. But everyone is different.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did a road-trip to Chicago from the Twin Cities. We did 30 mpg on the way there, and it dropped to 28 mpg on the way back. This is in an XLE 8 passenger FWD (now with 6500 miles) with 2.5 passengers and luggage for a weekend. This is way worse than the 34 mpg I got in July with 2 bikes, the same number of passengers and 100 additional pounds of cargo.

Thoughts on why this might be? Is this all from the change in weather, or is the lack of changeover to winter gas in IL potentially a culprit too?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
370 Posts
I did a road-trip to Chicago from the Twin Cities. We did 30 mpg on the way there, and it dropped to 28 mpg on the way back. This is in an XLE 8 passenger FWD (now with 6500 miles) with 2.5 passengers and luggage for a weekend. This is way worse than the 34 mpg I got in July with 2 bikes, the same number of passengers and 100 additional pounds of cargo.

Thoughts on why this might be? Is this all from the change in weather, or is the lack of changeover to winter gas in IL potentially a culprit too?
Did you drive faster the second time? Higher speeds cause mileage in hybrids to drop fast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Change over to winter gas, cheap gas,, wind direction, low tire pressure,, there's a whole host of things that can affect it. If it becomes constantly low, you may have an engine issue. This is one of the reasons I track it.
TPMS showed pressures of at least 40 psi all around this time.

Did you drive faster the second time? Higher speeds cause mileage in hybrids to drop fast.
Same speeds. I think a key difference is there was more traffic in the summer and as a result more braking. That probably helped the battery charge a lot more.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
370 Posts
Same speeds. I think a key difference is there was more traffic in the summer and as a result more braking. That probably helped the battery charge a lot more.
It sounds like since there was more traffic in the summer, you were off the throttle more, which means the ICE shuts off. The more the ICE is off, the better the gas mileage. Slow traffic also helps mileage. If the speed drops to 50mph instead of 70mph, the mileage goes up fast.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Technology Pkg
99 Posts
I am in the Pacific north west. I live in a mostly flat area. When I first got my XSE AWD in July, I got around 7L/100km. Since heading into fall/winter, that has increased to 8L/100km. This is probably due to the weather being colder and the ICE need to be turned on for heating. I mostly drive my kids to and from school/daycare around 12km each way.

481 - 493 of 493 Posts