Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that the sienna has so many various trims and given the new 2021 is coming out soon....

What year and trim level sienna do you own?

Do you wish you had gotten a different generation or a higher (or lower) trim?

Some features that are underutilized to justify the cost so you wish you has gotten a lower trim?
I’m wondering if a used limited or limited premium is worth it over an XLE.

No ragrets.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
2014 Blizzard Pearl Sienna Limited with all optional packages. I got the Sienna I wanted by special order through the Costco Auto Program - took exactly 28 days to arrive. Got a number of accessories installed at the factory at dramatically reduced prices with no installation fees. I wish that I could have gotten a few features that weren't available such as a more fully adjustable front passenger seat and rear heated seats.

My take is that the desirability of the Limited and Limited Premium depends on the model year. Prior to 2018, one had to buy a Limited Premium in order to be able to then order the optional Advanced Technology Package that included PCS, DRCC and Hill Start Assist.

There are numerous other features that have been available only on the Limited and/or Limited Premium. Some depend on model year and whether it's AWD or FWD and include HID headlights with beam level adjustment, rain sensing wipers, heated steering wheel, power folding exterior mirrors with turn signals, ottoman 2nd row seats, power stowing and reclining 3rd row seats, rear sunroof, and memory driver seat.

Whether or not a used Limited/Limited Premium is a better choice than an XLE depends on what features you value.

·
Registered
58 Posts
2016 Limited. It's grey. Very happy with the accessories (Nav, leather, electronic safety features, retracting side mirrors, fold away rear seat via button, etc.) My kids like that the middle row has foot rests. I havent used the heated steering wheel yet. Two moon roofs is cool. My wife, who is shorter than I am, likes the 1 and 2 seat settings. I would have liked DRCC.

·
Registered
297 Posts
2020 Limited. The only two things I had to have were the Blizzard Pearl Paint and the Chestnut Leather. And since those two o my comes in the Limited, that’s what we got.

·
Registered
297 Posts
2011 XLE. Had to have the leather and the Opti Glow gauages. So we got the XLE in the 2011. For the 2015 L, it was just a backup van so didn’t need anything so got the L. Then for the 2020 Limited. The only two things I had to have were the Blizzard Pearl Paint and the Chestnut Leather. And since those two only comes in the Limited, that’s what we got.

·
Registered
39 Posts
2015 xle with blizzard Pearl paint. Only issue i have is the paint peels pretty easily on front bumper. Just wish that paint was a little more durable. might have to re paint it and do a PPF down the road

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your input. I did notice that the newer ones had a lot more standard features.
I do love the white pearl/chestnut combo, the recliner, the 2 moon roofs, and the most important feature, HID headlights
Now I’m wondering if those features of a 2017 limited is worth the extra $5-8k over a 2019 XLE where I would have to retrofit HID projectors.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
2015 xle with blizzard Pearl paint. Only issue i have is the paint peels pretty easily on front bumper. Just wish that paint was a little more durable. might have to re paint it and do a PPF down the road
There was a service campaign under which Blizzard Pearl paint issues were repair at no cost to original or subsequent owners but I don't remember if it covers the Sienna: Toyota Extends Warranty On Peeling White Blizzard Pearl Camry, 4Runner, Corolla, Avalon, Scion, Lexus GX - Details Here | Torque News

Mine seems fine so maybe it was an intermittent problem.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Thanks all for your input. I did notice that the newer ones had a lot more standard features.
I do love the white pearl/chestnut combo, the recliner, the 2 moon roofs, and the most important feature, HID headlights
Now I’m wondering if those features of a 2017 limited is worth the extra $5-8k over a 2019 XLE where I would have to retrofit HID projectors.
According to IIHS.org headlight tests, the OEM HID headlights aren't any better than the OEM halogen headlights - here's a link to the ratings for the 2017 Sienna: 2017 Toyota Sienna Minivan

The big deal with the OEM HID headlights is that they have a beam level control on the dashboard that keeps the headlight beams on the road even when the Sienna is heavily loaded ... and off course HID bulbs hardly ever need to be replaced. I had the original HID bulbs last 14 years on a Lexus. If I don't use the beam level control to lower the Sienna's headlight beams when I'm carrying multiple adult passengers behind the 1st row, the headlights do a better job of lighting up the tree tops than the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2014 Limited AWD in Predawn Grey here, no other options to go a lower spec as they only sell the Limited over here in South Korea. It's a great van, we (the kids and I) love the sunroofs. I wish that they came with HIDs as standard (not in a package option, unavailable here) and the wife misses her LDWS and BSM from our old 2016 Kluger AWD (HL Limited). Other than that I don't think I could ask for much else.

·
Registered
2020 Predawn Mica Gray Limited
19 Posts
2020 Limited - Mica Gray
The wife told me specifically she did not want a TV in the back. So we didn’t get the TV package (premium).
I wanted the birds-eye camera system (I indifferent on rain sensing wipers and HIDs). But at that point ($3,500 more and I’d have to explain to the wife I basically disobeyed the one instruction she gave me on this purchase) I just got it without the premium package.
I wanted AWD but after realizing it had runflats (definitely did not want to deal with those) i opted to forgoe the AWD.

We also got the Toyota all weather mats and mud flaps in the deal, plus some interior protection stuff.
All in all I think we are happy, I’m contemplating the upgrade to the hybrid, I’d REALLY like that...

·
Registered
63 Posts
2015 Limited Premium AWD, purchased last January. Used Siennas sell pretty fast in our area, especially AWDs which don't come on the market very often. So we didn't have the option of being super choosy.

My wife's one demand was leather seats, since we have two dogs, so that pointed to an XLE. The Limited Premium has some features which are nice but that we really don't need, e.g. the folding rear view mirrors, dual moonroofs.

I wish the rain sensing wipers worked better or there was a way to disable them and still have a variable intermittent option. Even on the least sensitive setting they seem too sensitive, and don't always react to the same level of rain the same way. We get a lot of variable light rain, off and on, off and on here in Oregon so in theory it should be nice. But it just doesn't work that great for us. That's the only "fancy" feature I actively dislike.

The previously mentioned adjustable headlights are nice, and I'm glad to have the HIDs.

I like the fact that the AWD Limiteds do not have the motorized folding 3rd row seats. Definitely do not need that, or the complexity. I believe these were left off the AWDs for weight reasons.

I like the heated steering wheel, but it only heats a relatively small section of the wheel and farther toward the sides than my normal 10 and 2 grip.

Our Sienna is already a very complex vehicle by my admittedly Luddite standards. But the 2017 changes made it even more so, with the 8 speed auto transmission and Atkinson-cycle engine. Since we overall trust Toyota not to do anything stupid, we probably would have been OK with 2017 or newer. But I'm at least as happy to have the earlier, more proven engine and transmission.

To sum up: The sweet spot for us would probably have been a 2016 XLE AWD, reflecting the 2015 interior updates with another year to work the bugs out. But we are happy with what we wound up with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
According to IIHS.org headlight tests, the OEM HID headlights aren't any better than the OEM halogen headlights - here's a link to the ratings for the 2017 Sienna: 2017 Toyota Sienna Minivan

The big deal with the OEM HID headlights is that they have a beam level control on the dashboard that keeps the headlight beams on the road even when the Sienna is heavily loaded ... and off course HID bulbs hardly ever need to be replaced. I had the original HID bulbs last 14 years on a Lexus. If I don't use the beam level control to lower the Sienna's headlight beams when I'm carrying multiple adult passengers behind the 1st row, the headlights do a better job of lighting up the tree tops than the road.
On my first Sienna, a 2004 Limited, the HID bulbs didn't burn out but the transformers did -- both of them, within two weeks of each other. Fortunately, they were covered by my extended warranty. The parts were $800 each, according to my mechanic.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
On my first Sienna, a 2004 Limited, the HID bulbs didn't burn out but the transformers did -- both of them, within two weeks of each other. Fortunately, they were covered by my extended warranty. The parts were $800 each, according to my mechanic.
That's highway robbery. Are you sure you didn't add an extra zero to that $800? I see OEM Denso HID ballasts for the gen 3 Sienna for as low as $80: Headlight Experts Denso D24D OEM New Replacement Ballast - OEM Replacement Ballasts

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's highway robbery. Are you sure you didn't add an extra zero to that $800? I see OEM Denso HID ballasts for the gen 3 Sienna for as low as $80: Headlight Experts Denso D24D OEM New Replacement Ballast - OEM Replacement Ballasts
That was the price from Toyota for the transformer. I don't know if the "ballast" is the same thing as a transformer. Toyota tried to weasel out of covering it because they said lights aren't included in the ext warranty. My mechanic argued successfully that the transformer is an electrical part, not a lighting part.

In any case, I didn't pay a dime.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
A HID lamp is a form of an arc discharge lamp. The ballast is a combination of a step-up transformer and a smart voltage/current regulator to initialize and maintain a constant light output. Your car headlamp is a derivative of the fluorescent light bulb, sodium & mercury streetlamps, and maybe most closely the light source in a high performance laboratory microscope from the early 1980's.

Reactions: MTAtech and Geezer1
1 - 20 of 37 Posts