Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I pride myself as one of those rare engineers who can actually craft a sentence! And I have no ragrets about that....

Reactions: Geezer1

·
Registered
252 Posts
Heh, I just mentioned this in another thread - I have a 2017 SE and wish I would have known that the 2018+ was going to come with Safety Sense standard across the board (for the adaptive cruise control) along with the ability to upgrade the stereo to support CarPlay.

If I could do it over again, I probably would go with a 2020 SE AWD Nightshade Edition, although it doesn’t look like it’s offered in Predawn Gray Mica. The main creature comforts that I wish were available on the SE trim are the memory seat/mirrors for the driver and front/rear sonar parking assist. Everything else I really care about (like the power rear quarter vents, power folding mirrors, and HID projectors) was relatively easy to retrofit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2015 Sienna LE. Previously 2008 Sienna LE. Would have preferred a Super duper limited premium fully loaded kitted out van, but this van fell into my lap and I wasnt even planning on upgrading. It's still quite a few steps nicer than the 2008. and Im glad I ended up with the 6spd transmission.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I guess I was having too much fun on the posts above and never did respond to the question!

We went from a 2008 LE to a 2015 Limited Premium. I was a costly jump, but we absolutely love the features and perks.

Love the drivetrain (the older engine and transmission). Service loaner vans, even with the software upgrades, just don't feel as smooth and peppy. The upgraded interior (2015 facelift) is a big improvement over the 2011 we looked at years earlier. Wish I could have found one with the Adv Tech package, as I've come to appreciate the autonomous features that are now standard (2018+). The rear entertainment system has fallen out of favor with our kids (youngest is now 17) replaced by their phones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Given that the sienna has so many various trims and given the new 2021 is coming out soon....

What year and trim level sienna do you own?

Do you wish you had gotten a different generation or a higher (or lower) trim?

Some features that are underutilized to justify the cost so you wish you has gotten a lower trim?
I’m wondering if a used limited or limited premium is worth it over an XLE.

No ragrets.
I have a Jade color 2018 XLE AWD and love it. But 2019 came out with AWD available for SE. I would have considered getting an SE since it's suppose have firmer suspension, especially around turns. But 2018 SE didn't offer AWD. XLE does roll pretty heavily around corners.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've owned two Siennas, both AWD. A 2004 and a 2011. Despite the abysmal power doors on the 2004, and the DVD player that would not work when the outside temperature dropped below about 20˚F (regardless of how warm the interior was), I would take a Gen 2 AWD Sienna in good condition over any of the more recent ones (though I do like the more recent engine/transmission combinations a bit better. My 2003 does a better job with towing.) My main reason for this is that when the middle row seats are taking out, I have a flat floor without those damn trolleys in the way. This makes it a true combination people mover and cargo hauler. Without that, it might just as well be one of the old Buick station wagons I grew up riding around in and eventually driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Given that the sienna has so many various trims and given the new 2021 is coming out soon....

What year and trim level sienna do you own?

Do you wish you had gotten a different generation or a higher (or lower) trim?

Some features that are underutilized to justify the cost so you wish you has gotten a lower trim?
I’m wondering if a used limited or limited premium is worth it over an XLE.

No ragrets.
2002 Symphony, love it, bought new, auto door on curbside was way more useful than I though, 125K miles and now that the kids are grown it's my camper, I think it's great. I actually think the cloth is more comfortable and held up better than leather would have, I'd not change a thing other than the brakes should have been beefier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2009 XLE Beige FWD
We replaced our 2008 LE Sienna when it was totaled in an accident. We looked at newer models, but I often pull the seats for camping or for hauling things, and I couldn't accept anything but a flat surface - no seat tracks please. When we were looking at used gen 3 Siennas, we saw things that suggested cheesier quality, such as the plastic trim around the windshield warping and pulling away from where it was seated. Also read a couple of reviews that suggested Toyota cut some corners on quality in the gen 3 Siennas, at least when compared to gen 2. The 2009 we found had relatively low mileage (115,000), so we went for it. The upgrade to XLE was nice, too. Plan to keep this for many years. Long live Gen 2!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I should have researched the trim levels!
Regret #1: buying an XLE Premium instead of the Limited Premium. I tend to keep my vehicles 13 - 15 years. I ALWAYS buy top of the line. I just didn’t do my homework, and I needed a minivan yesterday! My quiet project is to search for a low mileage 2016 Limited Premium OR an “every-bell & whistle” SE. I like the sporty styling, but every SE is sooooo “decontinted”! (I think the SE was destined for the rental car lot: as it appears to me the loaded one are unicorns). Regrets...

·
Registered
37 Posts
For those value shoppers check out the LE w/ the Preferred package. You'll get BSM and push button start for about 2k less than an XLE. This was right up my alley since I didn't care for the leather or moon roof. Also scored 20% off MSRP with a Christmas Day purchase. But if price wasn't an option I would have picked a Pearl White Limited with that Brown Leather, very sharp looking!
no regerts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks all for your replies. The 2018 limited was sold anyways. I forgot that awd ones didn’t have spares and I’m not about shelling out big bucks for run flats.
still can’t decide if it’s worth the extra $ for the premium over the XLE.

·
Registered
230 Posts
2012 Sienna XLE, Its the base trim (power doors cloth seats) 8 pass. No regrets except for the OEM radio. Which I was lucky enough to get an alpine perfect kit for it and a pioneer NEX radio with apple carplay and android auto, paired with a MAESTRO RR.

I like our van. Its reliable, cost of ownership is just right and it hauls the family from point A to point B safely and comfortably.
I have basically added the Aftermarket HU and a tow hitch for a bike rack.

After all of these years of ownership, I have replaced front brake pads. Serpentine belt, alternator, upper motor mount, battery, windshield wipers rubber inserts, a set of tires and of course, regular oil changes. (Even the bulbs on the van are the same ones that it left the factory with....)
Super happy with it.
I have had the opportunity to upgrade to a more recent year but I really never felt like an upgrade since it basically was the same mini van. I had to choose between trading my current van or leasing a new one. I choose to keep mine since it has been so trouble free and because its mine, have been free of bank payments for a long time! I will consider upgrading to the 2021 sienna, but with how things are developing everywhere I guess Ill sit and wait.

·
Registered
298 Posts
2012 Sienna XLE, Its the base trim (power doors cloth seats) 8 pass.
That must be an LE. I believe all the XLE also comes standard with Leather, sunroof and powered rear lift-gate as well along with a few other stuff, at least that's how the XLE is in the USA.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That must be an LE. I believe all the XLE also comes standard with Leather, sunroof and powered rear lift-gate as well along with a few other stuff, at least that's how the XLE is in the USA.
You are absolutely correct:
However our sienna is a Mexican spec one.
you see, we live in Laredo Tx. Basically a border city. I co own a business in Monterrey Mexico, (a 3 hour drive from Laredo) and my wife is Mexican. We bought our sienna second hand back in 2014. One of my wife’s relatives was terminated from his job and had to sell some of his assets to stay afloat. One of those assets included our van. When we got it it only had 30k miles. So barely used. It made sense economically for us to get the Van in Mexico. I save a ton on insurance and can use the van with no issues in the us since my wife is Mexican.
so yeah, we have a Mexican XLE sienna

21 - 37 of 37 Posts