Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2020 Sienna LE last year, a year later we only have about 1000 miles on the "new" van.

Toyota says I have "FREE" oil changes now and near future? BUT...the closest dealer is nearly 20miles away and I've been using a "local garage" for years. do I even "need" to change oil/rotate tires, inspections,etc with so little milage?

I've barely driven the van over 20miles per trip in the last year and still figuring out how some of the gadgets/features actually work on the van.

"IF" I'd known Covid 19 would be change the way places and ways I travel, I would have waited another year or longer to replace as still decent running 2001 Odyssey EX with 175,000 miles that runs like a new car!

Please advise...I know that "first oil change" tends to get rid of "break-in" metals and engine thingees..

·
Registered
498 Posts
It's one year or 10k mi, whichever comes first, per the manual correct? They'll do it free, so why not take it in. (That said some dealerships try to make money on the side, I'm hoping yours isn't one of them). Also good idea to follow the manual in order to keep your new car warranty valid.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,166 Posts
Short trips and long periods between use is actually a bit hard on mechanical systems. Your oil needs a period of elevated temperature to burn off condensed water and blowby gases, so at a year with only 1000 miles on the van some might consider the oil to be contaminated. I'd take it for a nice long drive, and then get it changed.

Tire rotation may be an included service, but rebalancing the tires is not. Unless you see signs of uneven wear or feel some bounce or vibration, I'd say no to any supplemental (customer pays) services. Same with engine air and cabin air filter. You likely won't need anything, and they are easy enough to check yourself. Let them do the normal checks and give you an 'all good' report.

·
Registered
2020 Predawn Mica Gray Limited
35 Posts
FYI the “free” oil changes consist of TWO oil changes and that’s it.

I requested the first oil change at 5k (owners manual states 5k is the appropriate interval for “special operating conditions” which they define, in part, as “extensive idling and/or low speed driving”) due to our daily use of the Sienna as precisely what they describe as SOC.

Come to find out, they tell me (at 10k) that I have already had my oil change and if I get it done at 10k, that’s the last “free” oil change.

Not that paying for an oil change is crazy expensive, I’ll just do it in the garage, but I was disappointed that the dealer would cover oil changes at appropriate intervals when I bought a $46,000 van from them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts