Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to start doing my own oil changes. I know Mobil 1 0W20 is the recommended oil, but WHICH Mobil 1? There's at least 6 different versions. I've eliminated the one for High Mileage vehicles, since I have less than 20,000 miles. Ditto the one for European vehicles. That leaves the Extended Performance, the one purporting to increase Fuel Economy and the basic Full Synthetic.

Just wondering which one you DIY'ers use.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
There's a site called bobistheoilguy.com, if you've not heard of it. Over there, I learned that the Extended Performance version of Mobil 1 has the highest PAO percentage. You could say that it's the "most synthetic" version. The Extended Performance High Mileage has a much lower PAO percentage, oddly.

I've been using Extended Performance 0W-20 for a couple of changes. There's a rebate on it, where you can get 5 quarts for a net of about $10(!). Here's a link to that: Mobil 1™ – Terms

It seems the Extended Performance doesn't darken quite as quickly in my 2018's D4S-injection engine. I know, that's not scientific, it's just an engineer's observation, for what that's worth. My mpg are at 28.0 overall, and I averaged over 30 on an 850-mile trip today.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you really want a clear/golden color oil check out Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or the others made from CH4. That said I just picked up a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 Extended Performance at Walmart yesterday afternoon. I was using Annual Protection for a while (in our other Toyotas) but I believe it has been discontinued. I may be biased towards Mobil because it's a US based company. But I also noticed the Pennzoil Pure Base oils have higher NOACK volatility, which isn't a good thing. Mobil also touts an oil warranty that doesn't end at 150k mi/15yr or whatever Pennzoil has that you need to register for to get...

In terms of BEST performance the stereotypical you get what you pay for seems to apply:

Amsoil is very good.

Redline is very good/excellent per specs (I've never tried).

Not sure about the Purple stuff (Royal Purple). I don't want a dye in my oil.

European oils tend to be high quality because synthetic has to be PAO or Ester, highly refined Group III doesn't cut it like it does here in the USA...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
For the 2011 and 2015 Sienna, I just use Costco's Kirkland 0w-20 Synthetic motor oil. Comes out to about $10 for 5 quarts. Unless there's a rebate on Mobil1, then I use it since it comes out to about the same price. I change my oil every 5000 miles, so I don't think which brand of Synthetic makes that much of a difference.

For the 2020 Sienna and my Vette, I use Mobil1 Extended Performance rated at 20K miles, but again I still change at 5000 miles for the Sienna and maybe around every 1000 miles for my Vette (doesn't get driven much and current is about 1000 miles per year only if that..)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP here. Thanks for the input, guys. Since there's a rebate (that I only heard about HERE!) I'll go with either the regular Extended Performance or the one claiming increased fuel economy, and shoot for 6000 mile oil change intervals. That will probably take me 18 months to accrue but the van is kept garaged.

BTW, my mileage on my April trip from West Texas to KY and back was virtually identical to what pjksr02 described: each tank delivered 27.5 to 31 mpg, depending on how much stop and go traffic I encountered during the trp. It's a great cross-country vehicle. With blackout curtains and the center row seats removed/back row stowed it makes a decent bedroom on wheels, too! I sleep damned good in the back, as long as I have a strong flashlight and a fully-loaded revolver within easy reach.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would not wait more than 1 year to change the oil if you drive less than the change interval in a year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Change your oil once a year, even if you do not drive it.
Any 0w-20 synthetic will give you more than adequate protection, and check the level once a week.
Maintenance is less expensive than repairs....

RV

·
Registered
230 Posts
Change your oil once a year, even if you do not drive it.
Any 0w-20 synthetic will give you more than adequate protection, and check the level once a week.
Maintenance is less expensive than repairs....

RV
I have a question. At times, as in this posting, someone will say you need to change the oil at a certain time even if you do not drive the car. I know Blackstone lab guy a few years ago bought old oil still in the original cans, I mean like 10 or 20 years old, and it tested pretty much like new. He ran it in one of his personal cars and it performed well.

So, why should oil need to be replaced while sitting in a motor with no use at all? I'd like to know. With no disrespect intended I am skeptical. But, I do not like to be wrong and if there is an explanation I'd like to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
@irlandes As far as I know the oil will get moisture build up, which you don't want. Beyond this is just inference on my part: the moisture in the air is acidic, breaks down the TBN, whose job is to keep the oil "healthy".

Mobil's oil warranty requires once a year oil changes just as an FYI...

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a question. At times, as in this posting, someone will say you need to change the oil at a certain time even if you do not drive the car. I know Blackstone lab guy a few years ago bought old oil still in the original cans, I mean like 10 or 20 years old, and it tested pretty much like new. He ran it in one of his personal cars and it performed well.

So, why should oil need to be replaced while sitting in a motor with no use at all? I'd like to know. With no disrespect intended I am skeptical. But, I do not like to be wrong and if there is an explanation I'd like to know. Thanks.
Oil that is in a sealed container is protected from absorbing moisture and oxidizing. Oil that is in your motor is exposed to the atmosphere/environment and will start to oxidize and absorb moisture. In addition, your engine is not a clean environment and once in your engine, your oil is exposed to contaminants that start to breakdown the oil along with the heat cycles while your engine is running.

Some more information on oil oxidation

·
Registered
214 Posts
OP here. Thanks for the input, guys. Since there's a rebate (that I only heard about HERE!) I'll go with either the regular Extended Performance or the one claiming increased fuel economy, and shoot for 6000 mile oil change intervals. That will probably take me 18 months to accrue but the van is kept garaged.
If you change your oil every 6,000 miles, use the basic Mobil 1. It will easily protect your Sienna for 10k miles without breaking a sweat. Any other Mobil 1 product, you are over-thinking the oil choice. It will not make your van last longer; protect your engine better or drive smoother. It just won't.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I personally use German Castrol Syntec, but most synthetics will offer the best protection. Change it regularly (mileage OR time, whichever comes first) and it will last a very long time. I would use Kirkland synthetic, but we don't get the 0W20 here yet, just recently they started stocking 5W30. I'm in the boat where I may be changing my wife's Rav4 oil because we are coming up on a year, and only put on about 5000 kms at this point. My Sienna came with a 2 yr/30K warranty, so I will have the dealer change the oil on it until that warranty is done, mainly for records. After that, will do it myself.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 for the Sienna. That is what my dealer used during the two free oil changes. It is usually on Sale at-least twice a year. I have enough stocked up from previous promos which should be good for 5 oil changes or 35K miles.

·
Registered
230 Posts
@irlandes As far as I know the oil will get moisture build up, which you don't want. Beyond this is just inference on my part: the moisture in the air is acidic, breaks down the TBN, whose job is to keep the oil "healthy".

Mobil's oil warranty requires once a year oil changes just as an FYI...

Well, that is an answer. I think I need to write Blackstone and ask if they have ever tested oil that sat in a car for a long time without driving. That guy is pretty good and probably has done so. Thanks for answer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 for the Sienna. That is what my dealer used during the two free oil changes. It is usually on Sale at-least twice a year. I have enough stocked up from previous promos which should be good for 5 oil changes or 35K miles.
Did you buy per quarts or per 5 quarts? How the way you save the left over?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well, that is an answer. I think I need to write Blackstone and ask if they have ever tested oil that sat in a car for a long time without driving. That guy is pretty good and probably has done so. Thanks for answer.
I can't imagine an oil sample with water/moisture level being very reliable since they aren't miscible. But I guess one could take the drainage and shake it up/mix it like Italian salad dressing then take the sample to send....

·
Registered
26 Posts

BTW, my mileage on my April trip from West Texas to KY and back was virtually identical to what pjksr02 described: each tank delivered 27.5 to 31 mpg, depending on how much stop and go traffic I encountered during the trp. It's a great cross-country vehicle. With blackout curtains and the center row seats removed/back row stowed it makes a decent bedroom on wheels, too! I sleep damned good in the back, as long as I have a strong flashlight and a fully-loaded revolver within easy reach.
That sounds like West Texas. Needed a thurty-thurty 'tho.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Can also go to www.mobiloil.com (just remembered) What to buy, Find the right motor oil to see what Mobil recommends. The first choice on top is their best when multiple choices are available.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts