Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I toyed with the idea of dropping the pan to replace the filter, but wanted to see if I could get the difficult to reach bolts. I had a few combo wrenches to try and after fooling around with loosening them, decided it wasn't going to work and wasn't worth the effort. I went ahead with breaking the cooler line and changing the fluid out this way.

I noticed a oil leak and sure enough, the pan is now leaking oil. Winter is coming, so I don't want to drop the pan, but thought I could try and check the tightness of the bolts (assuming this isn't a fools errand - did loosening move any thread lock making it easier for oil to leak?).

So, I want to try just a quick tightening but will order a offset wrench. Is there a particular offset wrench that worked well? Should I try for the stubbiest wrench possible, or does the length not really matter?

Am I deluding myself and will have to change the pan out now? If I do need to change it, how much should it cost to have a shop do it?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I find there are only two problematic tranny bolts and both are on the rearmost ones on the drivers side , partially blocked by the frame. I quarter inch drive extension with a 10mm socket works for one of the two and an offset works best for the other. I was able to tighten without loosening the top bolt of the drivers side engine mount and raising the engine a tad. Something like this should work . 12 pt is best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts