Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited • Predawn Mica Gray
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 11 months since I bought the Sienna. I got the email from Toyota asking me to extend the services for $8/month EACH. I'm thinking that's a crazy price to pay. I never use Destination Assist, so I'm definitely not getting that. I'm thinking about getting Remote Connect and maybe also Safety Connect.

Which, if any, are you planning on paying for?
Are there alternatives we can use?

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's been 11 months since I bought the Sienna. I got the email from Toyota asking me to extend the services for $8/month EACH. I'm thinking that's a crazy price to pay. I never use Destination Assist, so I'm definitely not getting that. I'm thinking about getting Remote Connect and maybe also Safety Connect.

I am only a few months into ownership, but I don't plan to extend any of the services. The "Remote Connect" is an interesting feature, but I hate recurring monthly subscription services, so I'll decline it based on that alone. I'd rather not reward Toyota for this decision. Having paid additional services isn't a bad idea per se, but locking some basic functions behind it all seems a little unethical to me. I think Toyota is walking a fine line on this stuff. I get that administration of these programs isn't free, but it does feel like a cash grab, especially considering the premium up-front price!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd rather not reward Toyota for this decision. Having paid additional services isn't a bad idea per se, but locking some basic functions behind it all seems a little unethical to me. I think Toyota is walking a fine line on this stuff. I get that administration of these programs isn't free, but it does feel like a cash grab, especially considering the premium up-front price!
Agree fully here! Destination Assist and Safety connect are legit services which make sense to charge for, but the basic functions of accessing your fob functions through an app are pretty ridiculous. Theres no way it costs 8/mo (x however many subscribers) to run whatever web servers this would require and basic comms (DCM?). This is absolutely a cash grab, and since there isn't likely to be an alternative, you're either stuck with paying extra or living with fewer features than you had when you bought it.

I'm kind of on the fence between not wanting to reward bad behaviors and also wanting to be reminded when I forget to lock the van...

·
Registered
5 Posts

I plan to continue with Remote Connect and Safety Connect. I don't need Destination Assist, and I can't imagine that the person who would talk you through directions has better maps than what I already have on my phone.

Safety Connect appeals to me in that if I am in a wreck and no one is around to help me I stand a better chance of rescue. Remote Connect would allow me to lock the van if I'm out of keyfob range and i've forgotten to lock it, so I see some use there. There is a keyfob trick you can use to remote start the van if you're in range.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,128 Posts
I plan to continue with Remote Connect and Safety Connect. I don't need Destination Assist, and I can't imagine that the person who would talk you through directions has better maps than what I already have on my phone.

Safety Connect appeals to me in that if I am in a wreck and no one is around to help me I stand a better chance of rescue. Remote Connect would allow me to lock the van if I'm out of keyfob range and i've forgotten to lock it, so I see some use there. There is a keyfob trick you can use to remote start the van if you're in range.
+1.

I just renewed Remote Connect and Safety connect. I agree that Toyota is being greedy here, but in the grand schema, I stand no chance of fighting and winning any. We do spend money on things we could do without, so this just rolls into that account ;).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm definitely old school and hate subscription anything. Still can't accept Office 365. And I buy movies/music instead of streaming.
I do really want some of these features though, and I kind of accept it since there is a continued cost for the mobile network connection that's needed to make these things work. I'll probably just continue Remote Connect.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited • Predawn Mica Gray
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm kind of on the fence between not wanting to reward bad behaviors and also wanting to be reminded when I forget to lock the van...
This is the dilemma that I am in. I'm thinking that the lock reminder is maybe, just maybe worth the $8/month.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was skeptical about paying for any connected services, but the remote services via the app is compelling. I regularly use the app to start the car and make sure the doors are locked.

Even though remote starting the car via the FOB is clumsy, I was disappointed in hearing that my key fob will not remote start after the first year (base audio on XLE) and was planning to purchase a traditional remote start for $250ish after the first year is up, but not sure how well it will perform.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I will pay. I like the reminder if I forget to lock the van. My Ecoflow delta was over $1,000. I also have personal protection that I don’t want to leave In An accidentally unlocked van. I also like the ability to unlock and lock remotely.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I will pay. I like the reminder if I forget to lock the van. My Ecoflow delta was over $1,000. I also have personal protection that I don’t want to leave In An accidentally unlocked van. I also like the ability to unlock and lock remotely.
Same here - the reminders about the van being left unlocked are really valuable to me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Here's a summary of the 3 services that only last one year.

Safety Connect - this will notify their response center in the case of a crash. Seems pretty useless - what's the value proposition for those willing to pay $80/year for this?

Destination Assist - this allows you to speak to a live agent to get navigation assistance. I've never used it and I never will but I could see it being useful for people who are not comfortable with technology.

Remote Connect - lock and unlock doors (and get notified if the vehicle is left unlocked), start the engine and climate control, check fuel level and range, guest driver settings (including alerts based on range, speed, and driving time), find your vehicle, etc. This is very very useful to me and I'm happy to pay $80/year to keep this.

The Dynamic Navigation (for those who have it) lasts 3 years, so won't opine yet but I can't imagine I'd pay for this since I almost always use Carplay and my phone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I personally won't be paying for any of these services after they expire in Feb 2023 for me. Doesn't seem like enough functionality for the cost. For example, on my Tesla, all of these services are free (with the exception of Safety Connect) and the Tesla app is far superior and much faster. The Toyota app seems like a relic in how slow it is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts