Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently go camping and use a $30 little Amazon inverter to run a small pump for the air beds. I don't need to power a microwave with my van.

But I want to use this van for lots of camping and adventures, and folks here seem really excited about the inverter, so are there some reasons I'm not thinking of? Is it to be able to charge devices with the car turned off (using the big hybrid battery)? I could see that being valuable, I guess.

Given the limited supply, I'm just trying to figure out how important this option would be (e.g., is it worth giving up the 8th seat because I'd have to get an XLE AWD instead of an LE AWD)?

Thanks!
Roja

·
Registered
140 Posts
The use case would be needing 1,500 watts of quality sine-wave power (safe for electronics) with built-in ease of use.
It is possible to duplicate this functionality via after-market at similar cost installed, but would require wiring into the 12V electrical system - which may not be up to the task for continuous use at higher loads. The built-in would likely handle most needs that you would need a 2000W gasoline generator for in some of the use cases below, at lower net cost and higher convenience.

So uses:
  • Powering electronics like high-power laptops, gaming consoles, during road trips.
  • Powering rechargeable tool systems working remotely with no access to power.
  • Powering medical equipment while traveling such as 02 concentrators so no need to rely on bottled 02 or battery operated models - or to charge the same.
  • Tailgating/Camping/Picnics without access to power.
  • Emergency use during power outages - should be able to power most refrigerators, well pumps, etc.
But it sounds like for your use case, needing this capacity/versatility isn't required as you get by with a small cigarette lighter inverter just fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We currently go camping and use a $30 little Amazon inverter to run a small pump for the air beds. I don't need to power a microwave with my van.

But I want to use this van for lots of camping and adventures, and folks here seem really excited about the inverter, so are there some reasons I'm not thinking of? Is it to be able to charge devices with the car turned off (using the big hybrid battery)? I could see that being valuable, I guess.

Given the limited supply, I'm just trying to figure out how important this option would be (e.g., is it worth giving up the 8th seat because I'd have to get an XLE AWD instead of an LE AWD)?

Thanks!
Roja
Wondering something similar, will follow with a more detailed post.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm guessing Toyota is offering an inverter because a sizable classic 12v aftermarket inverter would strain the downconverter used for Sienna's 12v power supply.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you are buying the higher end trim, $300 inverter is a no brainer. If you like the awd LE it's a lot more money for that inverter! If you lived in one of those places that was just hit with blackout, texas.. tennessee. Etc, having that inverter with a full tank of gas is near priceless, unless you were already prepared with a generator and fuel. Although, Some people go to use their generators that have been unused for a couple years and find it does not start or they don't have much fuel. 1500 watts is enough to survive.

·
Registered
504 Posts
people go to use their generators that have been unused for a couple years and find it does not start
Got a cheapo generator from Aldi's guessing 18 years ago. Used it twice, when 10 years old and just recently. The trick to easy starting and running good after sitting such a long time is storing it empty and the carbs bone dry.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks!
Roja
We just did a trial run camping with Sienna XSE with the 1500w inverter. We used it to power an electric blanket, microwave a couple meals, boil water with electric kettle, and charge devices. Worked like a champ... but we did need to watch out for the engine occasionally kicking on to recharge the battery. You just want to make sure you are not in an enclosed space or the exhaust is not near tents, etc... We have a SUV tent that attaches to the trunk and needed to be careful with this set up. The tent attaches very close to exhaust. We are going to try to figure out a way to attach it differently for our next trip.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We just did a trial run camping with Sienna XSE with the 1500w inverter. We used it to power an electric blanket, microwave a couple meals, boil water with electric kettle, and charge devices. Worked like a champ... but we did need to watch out for the engine occasionally kicking on to recharge the battery. You just want to make sure you are not in an enclosed space or the exhaust is not near tents, etc... We have a SUV tent that attaches to the trunk and needed to be careful with this set up. The tent attaches very close to exhaust. We are going to try to figure out a way to attach it differently for our next trip.
Can you give some details/link on that SUV tent? That sounds interesting. As to the exhaust I believe I've seen exhaust hoses/ducts to route exhaust away from the vehicle for situations like that. They just slide over the tailpipe and run the exhaust 10 or 20 feet away.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
177 Posts
For serious glamping..allow the use of
  • Instant Pot
  • KCUP machine
  • Sous Vide Immersion Heater (imagine the steaks at camp!
  • Bottle warmer
  • Blender
  • Back up home power that’s quieter than any generator

• Its also much more reliable than a camp fire for cooking, as I’ve camped in places where you need moto goggles to just hang out

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you know if the 1500W inverter can handle equipment that require more watts for starting or surge power? I guess this may have an impact on the typical use cases.
Here is what I could get from the manual : "When connecting a device, make sure that the total power consumption of all devices connected to the 120 VAC power outlets is less than 1500 W. If a device is connected and the power consumption is exceeded, a protection circuit will cut the power supply and the power outlets will not be able to be used. Depending on the device to be used, the current flow may be high and the initial peak wattage may exceed 1500 W. In this case, the protection circuit may operate, and the power outlets may not be able to be used. " Not so clear if the inverter could handle a bit more than 1500W for a short amount of time...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you know if the 1500W inverter can handle equipment that require more watts for starting or surge power? I guess this may have an impact on the typical use cases.
Here is what I could get from the manual : "When connecting a device, make sure that the total power consumption of all devices connected to the 120 VAC power outlets is less than 1500 W. If a device is connected and the power consumption is exceeded, a protection circuit will cut the power supply and the power outlets will not be able to be used. Depending on the device to be used, the current flow may be high and the initial peak wattage may exceed 1500 W. In this case, the protection circuit may operate, and the power outlets may not be able to be used. " Not so clear if the inverter could handle a bit more than 1500W for a short amount of time...
I haven't tried anything over 1500W so I'm not sure on this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,
If you were to use the inverter to power a fridge during a power outage (assuming it would either rain, snow or be cold outside), what would be a practical way of getting the extension cord out of the vehicule and inside the house without having rain / snow / cold entering in either of them? I assume a garage is not an option since the car may turn on to power the hybrid battery.
Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,
If you were to use the inverter to power a fridge during a power outage (assuming it would either rain, snow or be cold outside), what would be a practical way of getting the extension cord out of the vehicule and inside the house without having rain / snow / cold entering in either of them? I assume a garage is not an option since the car may turn on to power the hybrid battery.
Thanks!
Leave the garage door open, reverse out slightly so tailpipe is outside, then run the cord out the front windows, which would still be protected by the garage.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
177 Posts
Hi,
Thanks!
With this(you will need to drill most likely)
15A Weatherproof Outdoor Power Outlet by Journeyman-Pro 15 Amp 125 Volt NEMA 5-15R Receptacle Kit with Integrated 20" Extension Cord + Waterproof Rubber Cover (GCR1-BLACK) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XF5D8H...abc_W1V5HW5RHD9SA4DC1KKR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And this

Reliance Control Corporation WKPBN30 Portable Generator Through-The-Wall PWR Transfer Kit, EMW3790037 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0743BQDT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V7MR4G1AWFG0ZM6E4S3A

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
148 Posts
Leave the garage door open, reverse out slightly so tailpipe is outside, then run the cord out the front windows, which would still be protected by the garage.
Just a heads up, this method still risks Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Per the CDC website (and a number of other sources): "Never run your car or truck inside a garage that is attached to a house even with the garage door open."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All,

I am collecting the part list on "Toyota Parts and Accessories - Official Online Store" to find out what is required for "AC INVERTER OUTPUT-120V 1500W ". Any advice or anyone has the list handy?

Product DescriptionProduct IDQuantityTotal
Inverter VoltageProduct ID: 8624A-48010 $1,434.49
1​
$1,434.49​
Bracket Voltage InvProduct ID: 86247-45010 $15.62
1​
$15.62​
Bracket Voltage InvProduct ID: 86247-45020 $14.52
1​
$14.52​
Cover Inverter UpperProduct ID: G9221-08010 $43.01
1​