Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my windscreen replaced about a year ago and the lower left corner piece is not staying put. Is there a type of adhesive I would use, or do I just need a new part?

Bag Luggage and bags Beige Automotive design Tints and shades

Bag Luggage and bags Beige Automotive design Tints and shades

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
479 Posts
Will be watching this. Mine are loose on both sides. Have considered using black RTV, but then saw that replacements were only about $35, so held off on the RTV.

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
35 Posts
Keep in mind these parts are 100% cosmetic only so dont sweat it too much if they have gaps. In no way do they provide any type of water seal if thats a concern. If it really bothers you order some new ones but I doubt the fit will be a whole lot better if current ones are just loose. They are just a crappy part that is hard to make fit into several other plastic pieces like the lower cowl, then match up with the windshield clip.
And no, they are not installed with any type of adhesive, just lock into place between lower cowl and windshield. Its called a fender seal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep in mind these parts are 100% cosmetic only so dont sweat it too much if they have gaps. In no way do they provide any type of water seal if thats a concern. If it really bothers you order some new ones but I doubt the fit will be a whole lot better if current ones are just loose. They are just a crappy part that is hard to make fit into several other plastic pieces like the lower cowl, then match up with the windshield clip.
And no, they are not installed with any type of adhesive, just lock into place between lower cowl and windshield. Its called a fender seal.

Thanks very much. My thought was only that a new one might fit better, since this one has been put on and off a few times (I think three windscreens so far on my 2015)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Had the same issue when I removed mine to paint. You can remove the existing tape and use a new strip of 3M double sided tape. Before you put on the trim piece, use a heat gun to warm up both the tape and the metal and then hold for a minute. Sticks great then

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the same issue when I removed mine to paint. You can remove the existing tape and use a new strip of 3M double sided tape. Before you put on the trim piece, use a heat gun to warm up both the tape and the metal and then hold for a minute. Sticks great then
Dont see any tape? should it be on the part or on the car?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Dont see any tape? should it be on the part or on the car?
That's the problem then. The long thin strip of plastic that sits against the body is supposed to have a thin strip of 3M double side tape. If yours is missing then clean up the part with some alcohol, warm it up and affix the double side d tape.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
There is double sides tape on it. MIne is flapping around will have to do what he said...

Javvy

·
Registered
655 Posts
Looks like there is 1/4" and 1/2" tape, what would you recommend?
Check the width of the plastic piece and go as wide as you can. Pnce you put it on the plastic trim and if it extends a bit, you can trim the excess so its flush all around

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
35 Posts
Weird. I work for Toyota and these exact same parts are actually installed on the line I work on. We build Rav not Sienna but the ones we use do not use any type of adhesive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would think the 3m double sided heavy duty exterior will work. I use it for all kinds of things and they stick and last a very long time. Mines slightly coming off too but not enough to bother me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts