Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Sienna Owners,

We just wanted to share something that we recently learned the hard way. I had posted previously about a weird situation we ended up in because the dealer we purchased our used 2019 Sienna replaced the windshield but because they weren’t a Toyota dealership they didn’t have the capability to recalibrate the Pre-Collision System. They told us that Toyota would do it for free - which was a complete lie.

But that’s not the hardest part. We finally took the van in to get the PCS recalibrated and after it taking nearly twice as long as they said it would, the assistant manager came out (nearly in tears) to give us the bad news. When the dealership replaced the windshield, they let all the wires in the center area behind the rear view mirror (and where the camera is) hang down. This action broke some of the wires in the harness and after trying 3 times to recalibrate the PCS and getting the wires broken message, they had to give up. This meant that price to fix this issue quadrupled because that wiring harness section had to be completely replaced. We couldn’t clear the dash warning constantly showing the PCS warning (and unable to see all the other data including speed, etc) or even shut off the PCS until we fixed this. The dealership says that they are regularly getting in vehicles with this issue where the wires are broken from hanging down when the windshield is replaced. Apparently, Toyota has not issued any specific service alert on this - possibly because many of the dealerships aren’t replacing windshields any longer. I only mention this because if you do ever have to have your windshield glass replaced, please, please mention to whoever is doing the work to be careful with those wires and simply use a paint safe masking tape to hold the wiring harness up. The assistant manager said that’s all it would have taken to have saved us hundreds of dollars. I don’t want others to be in this same situation.

Hope that ends up helping someone else. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you! I am going tomorrow to talk to the dealership where I just purchased a used 2018 Sienna about a chip in the windshield. This is very helpful information.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I am going tomorrow to talk to the dealership where I just purchased a used 2018 Sienna about a chip in the windshield. This is very helpful information.
I’m so happy that someone else might not have to deal with what we did! Thanks for sharing that. Also, know that you will have to have the Pre-Collision System recalibrated after a full windshield replacement. From what I can tell, this cost can vary widely and can be anywhere from $99-$300 for just that part. If a dealer takes care of it, it should be included. Some glass places can do the recalibration, others cannot. But you cannot turn off or modify your PCS setting after the replacement/before calibration and it will completely take over your MID. So, no digital speed, distance till empty, or whatever else you usually see on that display. It was maddening. So glad to have it fixed now!

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
Sorry to hear you still had grief over this. I'm hoping that you did call GM (?) about this used vehicle sale and raised a little hell over what happened.

Now for the important stuff. How's your recover going?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your post and for asking after my health. We did, indeed, try to talk to the Sales Manager but it was a very strange situation. He became extremely unprofessional, began shouting at us, and we found quickly that he was a “hothead“. We ended up not getting anywhere with them, sadly. If we lived closer, maybe we could have done more. With the health stresses going on, we did all that we could.

I believe it may have been you that had mentioned in one of my previous posts that somethings are aren’t worth the potential negative karma in the end - and we fully agreed with you. This is one issue, sadly, that the dealership won’t have much in the way of positive karma on their side from how the treat their customers. Happily, everything is working well now with the Sienna, even though it cost way more than it should have had to. :) It’s still an amazing vehicle and we’re loving it.

As to my recovery, it’s been OK. Had some post op complications with some incision issues and low pressure headaches, which are quite the thing. I’ve also had to have two more airway surgeries the last two weeks and am now recovering from them. My genetic condition is a challenging one that I will have to continue fighting in one way or another, for the rest of my life. I’m not being fatalistic or negative, it’s just reality at this point in time - but I’m still hoping they may find some improvements and breakthroughs with research. But this is why we’re so grateful for our Sienna. My condition is so rare that my medical team searched for years in more than a dozen countries all over the world to try to find someone who could help - and was willing to. We finally found a surgeon who could - and would help but it’s a 4K mile roundtrip drive from home (and I cannot fly due to my airways). The good news is, we can drive, which would have been hard if the surgeon had been in Europe or Asia with those pesky oceans in between us. ;) Without this Sienna, I couldn’t continue getting these airway surgeries which are, quite literally, keeping me alive. Makes the travel safe and comfortable with plenty of room for my service dog, medical equipment, and all the rest.

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
It sounds like your life has been a bit of a challenge (to say the least!). But it's good to hear that the situation has improved a bit for you and the family. And yes, having the right vehicle does help. And a community of 'car people' that have assisted with your Sienna journey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 2015 Sienna has suddenly developed a crack coming up from below the wipers, no chips no nothing, suggestions? Haven’t had much luck with Auto Glass.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Our 2015 Sienna has suddenly developed a crack coming up from below the wipers, no chips no nothing, suggestions? Haven’t had much luck with Auto Glass.
if you are willing to live with the crack and it hasn't spread yet to your line of vision, you can use this vid to drill a relief hole Drill a relief hole for windshield crack This will prevent the crack from growing. There are other similar vids on yotube too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts