Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for winter tires with new set of wheels for 2021 xse AWD in Canada. Overwhelmed seeing the options.
Planning to go for 17 inches tire with new set of wheels, as it is little cheaper and comfortable ride. What specification should I look for to fit as I am stepping down to 17inches. I am looking to get the blizzak ws 90. I read that you need to have the same diameter to avoid odo meter errors. So If I go for a smaller wheel size then the tire should have a larger Height to have the same diameter as the 18th right. Kindly help regarding the tire size I should be looking for. This is my first time wheel and winter tire purchase, what type of wheels should I buy. There are no many. Not sure how to choose. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you go to tirerack.com and enter in a 2021 Sienna XLE or XSE it will show you the wheels and tire sizes that fit for the 17" and keeps the diameter all the same.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
674 Posts
FWIW, LE and XLEs have 17inch tires. Look up specs for those.

Also, you mentioned this is the first time you're buying winter tires. Is it because you recently moved in your current neighborhood, or your previous car(s) came with winter tires, or else?

If you have an AWD, I would ask around your neighborhood and/or friends to see if having an AWD kinda of off-sets your need for Winter Tires. AWD+Winter Tires would be unbeatable, but measure it against your personal needs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Minnesota here, just right below you. I grew up on FWD Honda and Toyota vehicles with all-seasons. I flew into a highway ditch one time because of bad rear tires and I've gotten stuck in parking lots and unplowed streets. You just have to be extra cautious but for the most part we did fine with GOOD all-seasons. With AWD and decent tires, we felt more in control of our vehicle. But with our first Subaru, my wife did take it into a low speed ditch once. I decided to get snowtires for all of our vehicles after that when the guy pulling her car out mumbled something about AWD Subaru lol. We've gone through 3 more Subarus with snow tires and never had an issue. I currently have a 4runner Limited AWD and a Subaru Forester. AWD > FWD > RWD. But AWD with snowtires is the ultimate setup as far as stopping and traction goes. Driving in deep snow is different than driving in ice as well. We have more ice days than snowy days here but snow tires definitely help somewhat. I have seen an increase in use of snowtires here over the past 15 years which is a good thing or people are learning their lessons from their bad experiences.

I can't speak to other tire brands but my past 3 Subarus, I've had Blizzacks and General Altamax. The Blizzacks is a bit more of a softer spongy compound, where as the General is a thicker longer lasting compound but they. The blizzacks are a bit better with ice but they wear out faster. I am currently running the WS90 on my Forester XT and it works well. I drive mostly on residential and highway use. I also have General snow tires on my 4runner which helps with the highway slush and residential deep snow. Though not that great with ice since it's a heavier vehicle and has a tougher compound (I've been trying to wear it down for 4 years now and it still looks like new). I always choose the same diameter so it doesn't alter the odo speed. I went to 17's from 20 with the 4runner with a larger tire but same over diameter. My Subaru's, I've always stayed with the same wheel size. WS90 is a good choice but any snow tire is better than no snow tire. If we do get a Sienna AWD, I will definitely be getting snow tires for it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I picked up a set of Blizzaks in 235/55/18 235/60/18 to mount on the oem wheels. Only thing missing is the van.

Like other posters said, awd + winter tires is the ultimate in control. Also the Sienna is HEAVY at 4700lbs, winter tires are a must if you want to stop in snow/ice.

edit: typed the wrong tire size. fixed now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, LE and XLEs have 17inch tires. Look up specs for those.

Also, you mentioned this is the first time you're buying winter tires. Is it because you recently moved in your current neighborhood, or your previous car(s) came with winter tires, or else?

If you have an AWD, I would ask around your neighborhood and/or friends to see if having an AWD kinda of off-sets your need for Winter Tires. AWD+Winter Tires would be unbeatable, but measure it against your personal needs.
Thanks This my first new car. Taking family made me decide on having a snow tire as I always managed with all season tires, did not plan any winter trips before so did not bother about it. I am in vancouver not much snow and the interior, but there are many winter destinations like whistler...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I picked up a set of Blizzaks in 235/55/18 to mount on the oem wheels. Only thing missing is the van.

Like other posters said, awd + winter tires is the ultimate in control. Also the Sienna is HEAVY at 4700lbs, winter tires are a must if you want to stop in snow/ice.
Honest question - why would you buy in advance tires with a lower aspect ratio than the stock 235/60-18s?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Minnesota here, just right below you. I grew up on FWD Honda and Toyota vehicles with all-seasons. I flew into a highway ditch one time because of bad rear tires and I've gotten stuck in parking lots and unplowed streets. You just have to be extra cautious but for the most part we did fine with GOOD all-seasons. With AWD and decent tires, we felt more in control of our vehicle. But with our first Subaru, my wife did take it into a low speed ditch once. I decided to get snowtires for all of our vehicles after that when the guy pulling her car out mumbled something about AWD Subaru lol. We've gone through 3 more Subarus with snow tires and never had an issue. I currently have a 4runner Limited AWD and a Subaru Forester. AWD > FWD > RWD. But AWD with snowtires is the ultimate setup as far as stopping and traction goes. Driving in deep snow is different than driving in ice as well. We have more ice days than snowy days here but snow tires definitely help somewhat. I have seen an increase in use of snowtires here over the past 15 years which is a good thing or people are learning their lessons from their bad experiences.

I can't speak to other tire brands but my past 3 Subarus, I've had Blizzacks and General Altamax. The Blizzacks is a bit more of a softer spongy compound, where as the General is a thicker longer lasting compound. The blizzacks are a bit better with ice but they wear out faster. I am currently running the WS90 on my Forester XT and it works well. I drive mostly on residential and highway use. I also have General snow tires on my 4runner which helps with the highway slush and residential deep snow. Though not that great with ice since it's a heavier vehicle and has a tougher compound (I've been trying to wear it down for 4 years now and it still looks like new). I always choose the same diameter so it doesn't alter the odo speed. I went to 17's from 20 with the 4runner with a larger tire but same over diameter. My Subaru's, I've always stayed with the same wheel size. WS90 is a good choice but any snow tire is better than no snow tire. If we do get a Sienna AWD, I will definitely be getting snow tires for it.
Thanks for your suggestions well appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honest question - why would you buy in advance tires with a lower aspect ratio than the stock 235/60-18s?
Honestly I am so ignorant on this topic. I am buying new set of wheels with the tires, I just read in online / youtube that 17 inches have more comfort , cheaper. secondly there is no 18 inches blizzak ws 90, Only available in Blizzak DM-V2, thought WS 90 has a better longevity.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...e&tireModel=Blizzak+DM-V2&partnum=36SR8DMV2XL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Honestly I am so ignorant on this topic. I am buying new set of wheels with the tires, I just read in online / youtube that 17 inches have more comfort , cheaper. secondly there is no 18 inches blizzak ws 90, Only available in Blizzak DM-V2, thought WS 90 has a better longevity.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...e&tireModel=Blizzak+DM-V2&partnum=36SR8DMV2XL
Taller sidewalls give more cushion which is beneficial in the winter with potholes and frost heaves. This is generally better for the winter. Ideally you'd go narrower and width and taller on the sidewall for the tires to have more bite but that isn't always an available option.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I can't speak to other tire brands but my past 3 Subarus, I've had Blizzacks and General Altamax. The Blizzacks is a bit more of a softer spongy compound, where as the General is a thicker longer lasting compound. The blizzacks are a bit better with ice but they wear out faster. I am currently running the WS90 on my Forester XT and it works well. I drive mostly on residential and highway use. I also have General snow tires on my 4runner which helps with the highway slush and residential deep snow. Though not that great with ice since it's a heavier vehicle and has a tougher compound (I've been trying to wear it down for 4 years now and it still looks like new). I always choose the same diameter so it doesn't alter the odo speed. I went to 17's from 20 with the 4runner with a larger tire but same over diameter. My Subaru's, I've always stayed with the same wheel size. WS90 is a good choice but any snow tire is better than no snow tire. If we do get a Sienna AWD, I will definitely be getting snow tires for it.
Can you suggest some good company making wheels I searched there are way too many options not sure which is ok and which one is not good. There seems to be many different types of wheels. I want a simple wheels that would do well some where in the middle not too expensive not too cheap with poor quality. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Taller sidewalls give more cushion which is beneficial in the winter with potholes and frost heaves. This is generally better for the winter. Ideally you'd go narrower and width and taller on the sidewall for the tires to have more bite but that isn't always an available option.
Thanks will keep that in Mind and look for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you suggest some good company making wheels I searched there are way too many options not sure which is ok and which one is not good. There seems to be many different types of wheels. I want a simple wheels that would do well some where in the middle not too expensive not too cheap with poor quality. Thanks
If you don't like those cheap black steelies, go with the cheapest aftermarket alloy you can find. Otherwise find equivalent OEM wheels that fit. With my Subarus, i've stuck with refurbished Subaru wheels from ebay or someone getting rid of their Subaru wheels for cheap. That way I didn't pay full price but still get that nice OEM look and if I do curb them in the hidden snow curbs I won't be so mad at myself. You can research to see if what lug pattern the new Sienna is and which Toyota wheels will fit and you can find cheap used Toyota wheels and go that route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
also when you hit curbs hidden in snow, less chance of curbing your wheels ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are in Vancouver, on the west coast, I wouldn't recommend Blizzaks as your winters are mild. The more dry pavement you are on, the quicker Blizzaks will wear. They are great winter tires for more snowy areas for sure (had them on my Enclave FWD and had zero issues), but I would recommend Michelin X-ice for the coast, as you generally get more icy/slushy weather there. The X-ice will last longer in milder winters and offer great traction. I have had them in the past and they were great, so i was very happy when my Sienna came with them. And I'm in Southern Ontario where we get a mix of everything.
Of course, this is an opinion and others will have their own based on personal experience!

As for Steel vs Aluminum.... Steel will show rust eventually, but are cheaper and stronger for impacts.... aluminum won't "rust", but will corrode and you will get slow leaks eventually, but they do look nicer. Weigh out your options on what works best for you. One of ours vehicles has steel, the other aluminum!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are in Vancouver, on the west coast, I wouldn't recommend Blizzaks as your winters are mild. The more dry pavement you are on, the quicker Blizzaks will wear. They are great winter tires for more snowy areas for sure (had them on my Enclave FWD and had zero issues), but I would recommend Michelin X-ice for the coast, as you generally get more icy/slushy weather there. The X-ice will last longer in milder winters and offer great traction. I have had them in the past and they were great, so i was very happy when my Sienna came with them. And I'm in Southern Ontario where we get a mix of everything.
Of course, this is an opinion and others will have their own based on personal experience!

As for Steel vs Aluminum.... Steel will show rust eventually, but are cheaper and stronger for impacts.... aluminum won't "rust", but will corrode and you will get slow leaks eventually, but they do look nicer. Weigh out your options on what works best for you. One of ours vehicles has steel, the other aluminum!
Thanks for suggestion...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recommend www.nokiantires.com. I used to have Blizzaks which were decent. Nokians are from Finland so they know winter tires. I run them on dry pavement beginning in November until the end of winter. No problems with them and I like them more than my old Blizzaks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This relatively new category of tire (somewhere between all season and dedicated winter tire) seems interesting. Has anyone tried them?

More info here: All-Weather Tires Explained: Merging All-Seasons and Winter Tires

All tires have compromises, of course, but the selling point for these is that they are better than all season M+S in the snow but unlike true winter tires, they can be run all year, so you wouldn't need to have separate winter wheels and tires and change back and forth every year. Some of them have 60k mileage warranties, which bodes well for their longevity.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts