Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed wireless CarPlay? A friend of mine uses it in his Tundra, I was curious if anyone was using it and how they installed it. It’s plug and play essentially but I’d like to hide the module behind the dash.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
169 Posts
@Turbo_Pumpkin I did not know these existed - this is awesome. I would think it could be hidden underneath the dash somehow as well.

The reviews on this look great, but I am highly skeptical of reviews on a manufacturers website (able to easily remove bad reviews if they want).

The CPlay2Air is not on Amazon (like those reviews are more trustworthy), and all the devices like this on Amazon have poor reviews.

However, one person on Amazon wrote this review about a device that does the same thing.

Follow-up 1/6/2021:
I returned the Carlinkit device shortly after writing the above review, and a week ago I purchased a Cplay2air Carplay adapter. This is a night-today difference, with also very easy setup but it has been working like a charm, starting within about 20 seconds after starting the car without any interruption. The Cplay2air is not (yet) available on Amazon but it is definitely a much better device.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good friend of mine has one and loves it in his Tundra, I’m still on the fence because I’m not sure how often I need wireless CarPlay... but I believe the product is good quality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife uses a carplay2air dongle in her 2021 Honda CR-V hybrid and loves it. I tried it in my 2021 Sienna XLE and it booted into CarPlay right away. I have a Joyeauto MMB dongle from my previous car in the Sienna and it won’t boot to CarPlay. If Joyeauto support doesn’t fix it soon, I’ll buy a Carlinkit 2.0 from Amazon since it’s the same as the carplay2air and returnable if it doesn’t work as expected. Good luck.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited FWD
123 Posts
My wife uses a carplay2air dongle in her 2021 Honda CR-V hybrid and loves it. I tried it in my 2021 Sienna XLE and it booted into CarPlay right away. I have a Joyeauto MMB dongle from my previous car in the Sienna and it won’t boot to CarPlay. If Joyeauto support doesn’t fix it soon, I’ll buy a Carlinkit 2.0 from Amazon since it’s the same as the carplay2air and returnable if it doesn’t work as expected. Good luck.
Amazon has it for $80 right now with coupon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found the Carlinkit dongle on Amazon warehouse for $70. Seems to work. I’ll use it for a while and see.

·
Registered
Sienna Platinum Wind Chill Pearl
80 Posts
Does any of the 3rd party wireless CarPlay solutions auto connect to the toyota system? I can see wireless car play working for short commutes but long trips wouldn’t all of you prefer the wired?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does any of the 3rd party wireless CarPlay solutions auto connect to the toyota system? I can see wireless car play working for short commutes but long trips wouldn’t all of you prefer the wired?
The Carlinkit wireless CarPlay dongle I purchased does auto connect to my 2021 Sienna XLE Entune system when plugged into the USB port. My wife has a carplay2air dongle in her CR-V. She’s so used to it she forgets it’s even there. She keeps a lightning cable in a charging port for long trips.

·
Registered
Sienna Platinum Wind Chill Pearl
80 Posts
The Carlinkit wireless CarPlay dongle I purchased does auto connect to my 2021 Sienna XLE Entune system when plugged into the USB port. My wife has a carplay2air dongle in her CR-V. She’s so used to it she forgets it’s even there. She keeps a lightning cable in a charging port for long trips.
Do you notice any lag related to navigation?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a dongle that offers both Android Auto AND Carplay in one? The wife has a iPhone and I'm an Android guy. The sable we have with swappable tips is working fine, but I'd love wireless...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just installed my CPlay2Air adapter. Sharing my review here as the thread title is appropriate:

Alright so I finally received my CPlay2Air device on Saturday, 3 weeks after I ordered it. The shipping delay sucked, but it works just as advertised. After a quick set up process it connects seamlessly to your phone whenever you start the car or plug the cplay2air into the USB port. A wonky startup screen pops up. It will show your device connecting. Do nothing and it connects to your phone after about 10 seconds.

It also works well if you have multiple devices connected to it. At startup, you just pick which one you want. If you don’t pick it will default to the last one connected. If you want to switch devices just unplug the dongle and pick the other device at the start screen.

If you’re in a hurry you can also buy Carlinkit off Amazon. Mine arrived in 2 days but I returned it as I got the other device the same day.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bumping this thread since it's been a while and this is something I think I'd like, so please chime in with any new or updated reviews!

Specifically these two, which seem like the best-reviewed options on Amazon (despite the confusing names/brands):

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wireless-CarPlay-Adapter-Factory/dp/B08P1GWQDB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2P8ZH63B2LTCA&dchild=1&keywords=wireless+carplay&qid=1635084762&sprefix=wireless+,aps,2021&sr=8-3

@Chest Westerson which of these are you using and are you still liking it? ^^

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bumping this thread since it's been a while and this is something I think I'd like, so please chime in with any new or updated reviews!

Specifically these two, which seem like the best-reviewed options on Amazon (despite the confusing names/brands):

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wireless-CarPlay-Adapter-Factory/dp/B08P1GWQDB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2P8ZH63B2LTCA&dchild=1&keywords=wireless+carplay&qid=1635084762&sprefix=wireless+,aps,2021&sr=8-3

@Chest Westerson which of these are you using and are you still liking it? ^^
@ROJA yes I’m using the CPlay2Air and it works great. Connects automatically every time I get in the car in about 15 seconds. Only concern for you would be shipping. Mine took over 3 weeks because it ships from China. The ones available on Amazon ship in like 2 days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a thumbs up on the CarlinKit. I purchased the CarlinKit Wireless CarPlay Dongle 3.0 Adapter U2W a few months back. I just got my 2022 Sienna Platinum. I plugged it in and everything worked flawlessly, It was a simple substitution - plug in the dongle to the car USB instead of a lightning cable, I'm using a iPhone 11 ProMax. Didn't even need to read the instructions.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts