Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the archives, but still confused on how to choose a wiring harness. There seem to be many similarly priced options and I'm having trouble determining what the differences are.

Which one should I get?

If it matters, I'm putting a Draw-tite 76112 hitch on a 2015 AWD Limited.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for quality and reliability. I don't want the connector to store inside the jack storage area; I want it to mount outside the vehicle on the hitch, or just dangle near there. I'll run a cap on it when not in use.

Model numbers and if possible, links to recommended options would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I tend to view these plug-and-play wiring harnesses as generic but maybe one is is better. I bought a Curt harness for our 2014 Sienna mainly because I've been happy with Curt products. I had a particularly bad experience with a Draw-Tite hitch but maybe enough years have passed that I should forgive them - hitch didn't begin to fit and I had to have a local hitch company bend it.

etrailer where I've bought a LOT of products has several wiring harnesses for the 2015 Sienna: 2015 Toyota Sienna Trailer Wiring | etrailer.com

I suppose you could call etrailer or do a chat session with them and ask if any of their wiring harnesses have advantages. I've used their tech support in the past and found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable.

The Draw-Tite hitch you are buying has a bracket on it for mounting the trailer light harness connector. I'm definitely not a fan of dangling a trailer light harness out a closed trunk lid or hatch door - especially on the Sienna that has a power hatch door latch and a sensor in the door gasket. I cringe at the thought of getting a trailer light harness caught in the Sienna hatch door power latch that wrenches the door shut. There's a big grommet under the carpet in the well where the 3rd row seats stow that covers a hole that's big enough to pass a 4-flat connector and the power wire through. You can cut a small slit in the grommet to make room for the wires to pass through.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tend to view these plug-and-play wiring harnesses as generic but maybe one is is better. I bought a Curt harness for our 2014 Sienna mainly because I've been happy with Curt products. I had a particularly bad experience with a Draw-Tite hitch but maybe enough years have passed that I should forgive them - hitch didn't begin to fit and I had to have a local hitch company bend it.

etrailer where I've bought a LOT of products has several wiring harnesses for the 2015 Sienna: 2015 Toyota Sienna Trailer Wiring | etrailer.com

I suppose you could call etrailer or do a chat session with them and ask if any of their wiring harnesses have advantages. I've used their tech support in the past and found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable.

The Draw-Tite hitch you are buying has a bracket on it for mounting the trailer light harness connector. I'm definitely not a fan of dangling a trailer light harness out a closed trunk lid or hatch door - especially on the Sienna that has a power hatch door latch and a sensor in the door gasket. I cringe at the thought of getting a trailer light harness caught in the Sienna hatch door power latch that wrenches the door shut. There's a big grommet under the carpet in the well where the 3rd row seats stow that covers a hole that's big enough to pass a 4-flat connector and the power wire through. You can cut a small slit in the grommet to make room for the wires to pass through.
Thanks for the tips G1, especially about the grommet in the rear seat well.

A lot of folks seem to like the DT 76112 hitch, and I have one sitting in the garage. More recently, I learned of this option, the etrailer branded model e98853, purported to have a better finish compared to the 76112, and also to offer 1" greater clearance. I have a query into etrailer to try and confirm the latter. If it is true, I may sell the 76112 and get the e98853. If the only significant difference is the finish, I'll just keep the 76112 as our roads here in Oregon are not salted.

I ordered a DT 118648 from Amazon for $57, as prices seem to be going up on wiring harnesses, due perhaps to interruptions in supply chains. etrailer wants $78 for the same harness..

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I suspect that the etrailer e98853 is a re-branded Draw-Tite 77112 except without the bracket for attaching the trailer light harness connector. Compare the photos of the two on etrailer side-by-side. Looking at the amount of gap between the Draw-Tite 77112's receiver and the bumper cover shown in the photos, I don't know how a different hitch could reduce the gap by more than a small fraction of an inch.

I doubt that you will have a problem with dragging. My Curt hitch with it's cross tube under the trim panel has dragged only a handful of times in 6+ years and then only on driveway entrances when I had the van very heavily loaded. The rare dragging hasn't damaged anything. I've had hitches on other vehicles drag far, far worse and that didn't do any damage either except to put some minor scars in the street surface where my driveways met the streets.

If you do purchase a receiver hitch without a bracket for the trailer light connector or decide not to use the bracket on the Draw-Tite 77112, I found that a $4 Hopkins hard rubber bracket attached to the bumper cover bottom surface was a nice solution. I posted photos of it a few days ago: 2009 Sienna Question

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Yeah, it is hard to sort out accurate vs misinformation on these little details.

This "Expert Reply" on etrailer indicates the e98853 is made in USA and powdercoated, whereas the 76112 is not coated and is made in Mexico. But it also says the clearance is identical, whereas another "Expert Reply" indicates the USA made one has an additional inch of clearance. I don't think anyone at etrailer is being purposely dishonest, but they seem not always have their facts straight, leading to inconsistencies.

I'll probably just put on the 76112 on and call it good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts