Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Sienna XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I am in need of serious help/advice. Recently I have replaced my timing belt and water pump along with all the components with a Gates kit. I did this after my water pump failed due to the bearing. I got the car timed and all the components on but upon starting my car I noticed the cam gears are wobbling. Surely this cannot be normal at all. I’m wondering if maybe I didn’t put the cam gears on the dowel far enough? I had torqued the cam gears properly to 95 ft/Ibs, and I also made sure to put the gears on in the same place I took them off, not to mix the front and rear. Any advice or solution would be greatly appreciated as I truly need it, this project has been whooping my ass.

Below is a photo of the current placement of my front cam gear, alongside a slow motion video of the cam gear in action.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Sienna XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frankly, after replacing my timing belt I didn't look before installing the cover so who knows? How did you hold the sprocket in place when torquing the bolt?
I used the belts tension to torque it. I screwed on this tool that holds the harmonic balancer in place and attached a breaker bar to it so when I tightened the cam gear bolt it held without turning.

·
Registered
2006 LE
2,178 Posts
Look at the belt itself while it is turning and not the cam sprocket. From what I can see looks like the belt is riding ok. How about the other cam. Is it wobbling as well?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts