Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Sienna did not start this morning. On the first crank attempt it somewhat hesitated to turn with some weird unexpected noise after the key was released from starting position. All the following attempts to crank were normal with exception of absolutely no efforts from engine to start. After few more attempts I have attached the scanner that has read "P0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction". After researching that one cylinder misfiring could not cause 6-cyl engine to not to start, I have resetted it and now is getting after all subsequent start attempts/resets is getting "P0351 Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction". I think it takes about 3 start attempts to generate the code. I don't know if my OBD reader is limited to showing one code only and why did it change from initial P0351 to now consistent P0352. Trying to figure what is wrong I have also discovered a noise I have previously have not noticed under the hood when the ignition key is in "On" position best described on the web as "throttle body buzz".
Questions:
1) is the continuous "throttle body buzz" an indication that servo motor can't move the butterfly valve where it is suppose to be and can it than prevent starting?
2) if something mechanically bad would happen to the engine e.g. timing belt failure could it still manifest as one of the P035* codes and the engine would still crank as normal otherwise?
Any advice on troubleshooting this is highly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,531 Posts
Some no-start situations on the earlier Gen-II vans have been due to bad relays for fuel and spark control. Unfortunately I don't have my info with me at work, so can't give you any more direction. Someone else might be able to direct you to a prior post or a fuse box diagram.

·
Registered
829 Posts
DIAGNOSTICS SFI SYSTEM (3MZ-FE)

For a Highlander but it's probably pretty applicable to a Sienna too. The #2 ignition coil is easy to replace; it might be worth swapping it out if you have good battery voltage on pin 1 of the coil connector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It appears I needed to scroll down to see all codes (even there is no sign/prompt on the scanner screen), The complete list of codes is P0351,P0352, and P0353.

What would cause those 3 codes to show up but not the rest (P0354,P0355, and P0356)?

Looking at the WIRING DIAGRAM at http://www.tsienna.net/ignition_coil_nbsp_primary_secondary_circuit-2231.html the is no obvious grouping of 1, 2, and 3 cylinder ignition by fuse, relay, or harness branch.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Huh. The link I posted two years ago is now broken. It's a shame because I've used that manual link hundred of times since then and it worked fine. Maybe you can find a free online manual somewhere else and post the link for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts