Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an email from the dealer we have a deposit with on a Woodland edition. She said they just heard from Toyota that they will no longer be making the Woodland edition. Anyone else hear this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Totally didn't see that coming. Cause I thought they were building more LE's due to chip shortages, as the higher trims use more chips for more options.
Neither did we! At first, we felt that it may be a trick to upsell, but this dealer we are talking about is known to be more straight forward than most around our area.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Maybe what really happened was that the Toyota sold out the 2022 Woodland, and the reservations won't reopen until the 2023 model is announced sometime in Sep-Oct. I think something similar happened to the Maverick and ID4.

It's also possible that the 2023 Woodland edition will morph into, IDK, Himalayas or Kalahari and will be $10K more expensive. Or, the same Woodland with a new grill and still $10K more expensive. Because, you know, shortages, disruptages, COVIDages, labor problemages, and such.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Totally didn't see that coming. Cause I thought they were building more LE's due to chip shortages, as the higher trims use more chips for more options.
It really depends on what chip/part is having supply issues. But one thing is for sure - 2022 March/April sales of Siennas was only 50% of what they sold in 2021. If the trend continues - it is better for TMC to build only high-profit trims. The same goes for other Toyota Models. Its a clever way of increasing prices of the same car w/o feeling shortchanged - until you realize that the average selling price of the previous generation Sienna cost close to half of the highest 2023+ models.

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Are there really people out there about to drop 65-70k for a pretty standardly opted minivan? That's crazy to me but maybe it's the world we live in now.
The US dollar is worth easily 20% less than it did in the end of the previous administration. Or, if you prefer the "glass half full" attitude, Americans have 20% more dollars than they did in 2022 :cool:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
You seem to have this backwards.

I'm pretty sure he's confusing inflation (which has been surging, but no where near 20%) with the value of the dollar.

Anyway, Toyota already stated that they're going to take a hit this year on profit by minimizing price increases despite rapidly rising raw material costs. The full cost of material inflation is not being passed to consumers.

The only reason we're paying more for cars is due to shortages, so no incentives and discounts. The MSRP increases (at least in Canada), has been pretty stable and minimal, even when the 4th Gen was introduced.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You seem to have this backwards.

Thanks for the link. Next time I go to the gas station I'll get it scanned by the card reader and see if I can get 30% off :cool:

Dollar may be surging against other currencies, but it doesn't mean its purchasing power in the US is increasing vs the baseline of let's say early 2021; instead, it's decreasing, as people earn more money and spend more of it, too.

I'm pretty sure he's confusing inflation (which has been surging, but no where near 20%) with the value of the dollar.
(1) He is not "confusing", but equating, and (2) not "inflation with the value of the dollar", but inflation with the decrease of the purchasing power of the dollar relative to the dollar of the early 2021 - just before the inflation kicked in.

Reactions: pamhar

·
Registered
41 Posts

Anyway, Toyota already stated that they're going to take a hit this year on profit by minimizing price increases despite rapidly rising raw material costs. The full cost of material inflation is not being passed to consumers.

The only reason we're paying more for cars is due to shortages, so no incentives and discounts. The MSRP increases (at least in Canada), has been pretty stable and minimal, even when the 4th Gen was introduced.
This is very true for Canadian vehicle market. MSRP increases are minimal and you're getting more additional features/fixes each new release, so it's not even about the cost. The real benefits for consumer in pre-COVID was the ability to negotiate or wait for discounted promotions - something that is no longer possible because of inventory shortage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got official notification that my deposit will not be honored due to the model being discontinued. The timing perfectly coincides with the need for a brake job on my current van. Not too disappointed about the Woodland specifically, I am ok with an XLE plus with the inverter. I don't need the trailer hitch and will be better off with the JOR 2 in lift. I just need a new van,

·
Registered
610 Posts
Indeed, though here again it would be a fundamental mistake to assume inflation is a problem local to the US and her residents.
It would certainly be, but I think a deep dive into the macroeconomics of global inflation is not what the OP had on his mind :)

A reminder to us all, really: the MRSP is a [mostly obsolete] marketing tool, a vague indication of what the vehicle might actually cost out-the-door, give or take X%.

Reactions: pamhar

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
603 Posts
Toyota must've not made very many Woodlands at at all. I've only seen only one other Woodland on the roads in Northern California, other than my own Woodland.
I will have to admit that I don't know all the quirks, foibles and nuances of the newer Siennas, but I probably would not recognize a Woodland Edition if it jumped up and bit me. Do they have obvious "Woodland" badging? How would I recognize one if I see it?

That would be followed by: what does the Woodland Edition have that makes it different enough to BE a Woodland Edition?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I will have to admit that I don't know all the quirks, foibles and nuances of the newer Siennas, but I probably would not recognize a Woodland Edition if it jumped up and bit me. Do they have obvious "Woodland" badging? How would I recognize one if I see it?

That would be followed by: what does the Woodland Edition have that makes it different enough to BE a Woodland Edition?

Just wondering.

According to my understanding, the Woodland Edition has a new exterior colour (Cement Grey), better ground clearance, standard AWD, and some other cosmetic treatment. It's supposed to be a rugged/off-road edition of the Sienna.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts