Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased XM for my 2011 XLE with the premium JBL system.Reception is poor it goes in and out a lot. I've never had XM.
Is this normal? Or is there any solutions for this?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Reception is dependent on where one drives, e.g. latitude, hills, mountains, buildings, foliage, number of nearby terrestrial repeaters. I remember having very poor XM service here in the Kansas City area for a few days several years ago when a local repeater was down. I forgot how I found out that the repeater was down. The dogstarradio website used to track repeater availability but no longer seems to be maintained.

Do you have access to other vehicles that XM service so you can compare reception to yours? I've seen a fair number of threads about XM antenna failures on other forums.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The free trial in my 16’ convinced me it wasn’t worth it on the east coast! Even when it came in, the sound quality wasn’t as good as digital radio or cell streaming. We have an XM home unit that works great.

Ironically, when our vehicle trail ended, our base station package began including streaming on other devices? So we actually stream satellite radio off a phone and play it over Bluetooth with better results than the XM radio in the van.

I put an aftermarket XM dock in our vehicle when we lived out west and generally had better reception out there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a free trial in my Xb a couple of years ago. It did go in and out some but, the Sienna seems a lot worse. I don't have another to compare to now. Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Call SiriusXM and have them refresh the signal. The majority of the time it is not the vehicle equipment but the signal coming from SiriusXM. They will refresh the signal and ask you to turn off/turn on your radio.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can also refresh the signal at the xm radio website, just need your radio ID, the website explains where to find it. I’ve also found when the signal goes on and off in a continuous pattern that I need to stop and restart the van completely. Weird I know but it always works.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You can also refresh the signal at the xm radio website, just need your radio ID, the website explains where to find it. I’ve also found when the signal goes on and off in a continuous pattern that I need to stop and restart the van completely. Weird I know but it always works.
I get that phenomenon as well. Happens ONLY when I start the car in the garage sometimes. Signal is marginal in the garage, so I assume this is related to that. Glad you mentioned it -- I asked about it here or on another list several years ago and either I didn't describe it well or it's rare, because nobody else had any idea what I was talking about! Now I know it's not just me...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently purchased XM for my 2011 XLE with the premium JBL system.Reception is poor it goes in and out a lot. I've never had XM.
Is this normal? Or is there any solutions for this?
My experience with XM is that reception is really spotty when the antenna's exposure to the south is blocked. Driving very near tall buildings, in thick forests with tall trees all affect the reception - it goes in and out. Pretty annoying. I also found that the antenna location on the roof of my Sienna can be partially blocked by my rooftop cargo box. On a long road trip across Nevada, the box was on the southern side of the vehicle for about 400 miles - and reception was affected intermittently. On the return trip, with the box on the north side of the vehicle, reception was almost perfect. Crazy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My experience with XM is that reception is really spotty when the antenna's exposure to the south is blocked. Driving very near tall buildings, in thick forests with tall trees all affect the reception - it goes in and out. Pretty annoying. I also found that the antenna location on the roof of my Sienna can be partially blocked by my rooftop cargo box. On a long road trip across Nevada, the box was on the southern side of the vehicle for about 400 miles - and reception was affected intermittently. On the return trip, with the box on the north side of the vehicle, reception was almost perfect. Crazy.
That is not normal especially if there is nothing blocking the signal like dense tree cover, overpass, mountains, etc. I'm in the NE and the only time I get a disruption is in the above scenarios. We have tons of rolling hills and even with what I described, the disruptions are few and far between...and in obvious locations.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
That is not normal especially if there is nothing blocking the signal like dense tree cover, overpass, mountains, etc.
LOL, I've been parallel parked in our Prius by a 2 story building on Westport Road in Kansas City for over an hour waiting for my wife and XM fades in and out - mostly out - over and over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts