Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m in the verge of ordering a 2022 sienna but split between xle awd and xse awd. Curious about the ride difference. Xse being sport tuned. Is it bumpy even with the fatter tires of it being awd.
You might want to check with Tire and alignment shops as I've been told by both that I'm lucky I have the XLE and not the AWD as they eat up tires.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sienna AWD has an electric rear motor that is activated only when needed. It is not comparable to traditional mechanical AWDs.
I dont know what you mean by “activated”. There is no clutch in the rear drivetrain. So the electric motor is always rotating whenever the vehicle is in motion. There is always wear and tear like traditional mechanical AWD. In fact the rear fluids need to be replaced more often as it does not have an oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
You might want to check with Tire and alignment shops as I've been told by both that I'm lucky I have the XLE and not the AWD as they eat up tires.
It is interesting to glance at your post from 13 months ago :).

By Oct 2021, I would argue, tire shops wouldn't have encountered too many (if any) Gen 4 Siennas, let alone the AWD units (which are relatively rare). Perhaps the tire people were sharing one of the common automotive wisdoms from the era of the always-on 4WD.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I dont know what you mean by “activated”. There is no clutch in the rear drivetrain. So the electric motor is always rotating whenever the vehicle is in motion. There is always wear and tear like traditional mechanical AWD. In fact the rear fluids need to be replaced more often as it does not have an oil cooler.
I'm guessing "activated" as in sending power to the wheels? From the tires perspective, it seems it would be no different than any other part time AWD system that is FWD biased like on most compact/mid-size SUV's that only send power to the rear wheels when there is slip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 20 inch tires pretty much "have" to worsen the ride because they have a larger rim, and the distance from your rim to the ground will be less with 20 inch tires. That is, there will be less "air cushion" from your tires. I have seen this on the Buick Lacrosse..a very nice riding vehicle "as long as" it does not have the package with the larger rims. If you want a nice riding car, stay away from the XSE and go with XLE or one without the larger wheels. The big wheels may look cool but you pay for it with the ride.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,232 Posts
I'm guessing "activated" as in sending power to the wheels? From the tires perspective, it seems it would be no different than any other part time AWD system that is FWD biased like on most compact/mid-size SUV's that only send power to the rear wheels when there is slip.
You're both right. My bad. It was a while back, but I might have been trying to say that rear wheels don't get as much power compared to other "mechanical" 4WDs, or that you can't force it to be 4WD like some other traditional 4WDs.

IIRC, many 4WDs can send 40-50% power to rear wheels when needed. Sienna's rear motor is about 54HP at best (Its battery is not big enough to get 54HP out of both motors at each so actual might be less.)

Thanks for clarifying this regardless.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts