1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 3 of XSE AWD

(1) Problems with wind noise from front windshield;

(2) Electronic steering malfunction warning;

(3) 3rd row seats will not lock down when folded down so every time we hit a bump or go over a speed bump they bounce up and down.

First Toyota and I am regretting it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Day 3 of XSE AWD

(1) Problems with wind noise from front windshield;

(2) Electronic steering malfunction warning;

(3) 3rd row seats will not lock down when folded down so every time we hit a bump or go over a speed bump they bounce up and down.

First Toyota and I am regretting it.
Have you taken it to the dealer to see if they can address these problems?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you taken it to the dealer to see if they can address these problems?
Yes, it’s been with them for the past day and they are working on the issues. I’m just irritated and wanted to alert people to these problems that are creeping up very early on with the release of the new model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, it’s been with them for the past day and they are working on the issues. I’m just irritated and wanted to alert people to these problems that are creeping up very early on with the release of the new model.
Thanks for sharing. It seems every model has its issues. Keep us posted - I hope the fix is quick and painless for you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you explain a bit more about the windshield noise?

The other 2 seem like fixable - and the first one sounds more generic issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
[QUOTE="(3) 3rd row seats will not lock down when folded down so every time we hit a bump or go over a speed bump they bounce up and down.
[/QUOTE]

Toyota has no NVH test at all on their new vehicles!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
So sorry to hear that - I do not have any of your 3 problems but did have a leaky sunroof from day 1 which was quickly replaced and fixed. Hope your issues get resolved without hassle!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update - The dealer can’t figure out what’s causing the windshield noise or the steering malfunction as of yet. There was discussion of possibly replacing the steering rack in its entirety.

As for the 3rd row seats, when folded down, bouncing every time I go over a speed bump - that’s just the way it’s designed according to the dealer. Has anyone else noticed that the 3rd row does not lock down when they are folded? If that’s the case, anyone have an idea of how to stop them from bouncing when you hit a bump. We sometimes transport our dog in the back and the idea of the seats bouncing up and down when he’s in the back is unnerving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update - dealer confirmed that steering rack is defective and will have to be replaced. Because the defective steering rack renders the car unsafe to drive, they could not work on the wind noise issue.

Apparently there are no steering rack replacements anywhere in the US inventory and there is no ETA on when they will be able to get one from Toyota. At this point I am planning to send a notice to Toyota HQ under my state’s lemon law, which will give Toyota 30 days to fix the problem or repurchase the vehicle. I hate to have to elevate this so quickly but I should not have to wait around for a repair on a 3 day old car with no ETA on when Toyota will be able to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you explain a bit more about the windshield noise?

The other 2 seem like fixable - and the first one sounds more generic issue.
The noise sound is a whistling that starts at approximately 40mph. It’s the sound you might hear if your window was open just a smidge. I would suspect that there is ome sort of defective seal around the windshield or the windshield was not properly installed. But, I’m not a mechanic.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
44 Posts
Unfortunately, it sounds like normal new model years woes. There's bound to be several TSB to be issued with the 1st year until most of the serious quirks are ironed out.

But having steering rack issues from a new Toyota is not really normal..

This is the reason why I don't buy new vehicles that just came out until a few years into the current generation anymore. I'll you guys test it out for me. 😅😇

also, YOU CAN'T COMPARE KIA QUALITY WITH TOYOTA!!
That's like trying to compare Kia with a Toyota! lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues you’re having with yours. My rear seats fit pretty snug when folded down. Enough so that they don’t move when going over bumps.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you seriously trying to say that Toyota needs a lesson in reliability and quality from KIA?
Well, I haven't seen any Kia minivans with the door cable assembly dangling from the window, needing an expensive repair highlighted by class action lawsuit and resulting service campaign (that took six months to get reimbursed for).

So, yes?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you seriously trying to say that Toyota needs a lesson in reliability and quality from KIA?
The sound of a door closing is among the most important sounds for automotive engineers:
Kia's door closing sound @ 6:38
Toyota's door closing sound @ 8:16

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,340 Posts
And they didn't offer you a replacement/rental van or similar sized vehicle while yours is off the road?

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
44 Posts
Newer Camrys have become quite spunky. How far did you manage your burnout?

(╭☞ ಠ ͜つ ಠ )╭☞ r=1+sinθ

1 - 20 of 30 Posts