Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a 2017 Sienna LE. I have always been able to use the steering wheel controls to go through my library on my Samsung phone, using Google Play. Now that the app has been discontinued, YouTube Music does not allow me to control it with the steering wheel, or the screen.

Since I am in Canada, I do not have Entune. What music apps are fellow Android users using that will allow me to use the van to control it?

As a side note, is there anyway to flash the P11261 head unit to allow Android Auto? Or even Entune for that matter.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
What do you mean by "control it with the steering wheel, or the screen"?

I don't know what specific capabilities the P11261 head unit has but I can describe how the older technology E7027 head unit in my 2014 Sienna Limited handles YouTube Music which has been my favorite music app for the past few years.

I stream YouTube Music and a number of other Internet audio apps from my Android phone (Samsung S10) through Bluetooth. I start the YouTube Music playlist I want to listen to from the screen of my phone which I have high on the dashboard in an iOttie wireless charging cradle to make the phone screen easy to see without diverting my eyes from the road. I use the steering wheel controls to page forward and backward through tracks in the playlist. The steering wheel volume controls work as with any other audio source. The in-dash screen displays album name, track name and artist. I can use the virtual buttons on the in-dash screen to pause and resume a track.

I've never tried to connect my Android phone to the Sienna audio system through USB or aux-in and am assuming that functionality would be much more limited with aux-in (steering wheel volume controls only) and non-existent with a USB connection.

There are no software updates for pre-2018 Toyota systems that provided Android Auto or CarPlay. Toyota in-dash head units on 2018-up Sienna use a Linux operating system instead of the previous operating system from that wonderful Canadian company Research in Motion, i.e. Blackberry. You don't want Entune - trust me on that. Entune in our Prius pretty much stinks.

There are aftermarket modules that plug into some pre-2018 Toyota and Lexus head units to provide Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Prices and satisfaction varies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply, Geezer.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. I only ever connect using BT and %90 of the time use the music I have downloaded on my phone. What I was able to do when using Play, was click the center button on the right side of the steering wheel, and it would list "Albums, Artists, Songs, Playlists", then I could scroll through my library using the direction buttons on the wheel, and select the one I wanted, then down the menu tree to start the song. With Yahoo Music, I do not get that. Other than skip, nothing works. I haven't tried with the soft buttons on the head unit itself. I get the same behaviour with Amazon Music as well.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
It's possible that the Google Play Music application developers provided additional functionality that is not in YouTube Music and other streaming apps. And sometimes when apps are updated, developers don't do a perfect job of maintaining functionality on phones running older versions of Android.

I remember getting a Pandora music app update on an older Samsung Android phone some years ago that was incompatible with my Sienna steering wheel controls and could not display any information on the in-dash screen. I and others complained about it on Google Play and, sure enough, another update of Pandora was made available that returned the missing functionality to my decrepit phone.

The way the Android world works, your Samsung S7 may already be on its way to becoming obsolete and unable to run current versions of some Android apps with full functionality. I've been driven off one Android phone after another as each became obsolete due to limited memory, storage or the highest version of Android it could run. Although I'm not a fan of the Apple iPhone, they don't seem to have nearly as much "planned obsolescence".

Toyota's Entune is only a shell of what it originally was. Several of the apps on Entune including Pandora have been withdrawn over the past few years. The only music streaming apps left in Entune in our Prius are LIveXLive (formerly Slacker) and iHeart Radio - neither of which I care for. There are numerous versions of Entune and they don't all have the same apps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts