Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Van looks great! So the picture is with rear springs only? Nothing up front yet? I'm considering the journeys kit but I'd rather improve my rear springs and just get spacers for the front. My wife is actually into the idea because of Minnesnowta winters. I'm not sure if you can just by front spacers only - maybe springs all around is the way to go.
The rear is def the soft spot in the suspension. With any lift -- Traxda or Journey -- it becomes even more obvious that the rear wants to squat when loaded. If you're loaded consistently / most of the time, heavier duty springs make sense. Otherwise, airbags are inexpensive and accomplish the reduction of squat (but not the lift.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
The Van looks great! So the picture is with rear springs only? Nothing up front yet? I'm considering the journeys kit but I'd rather improve my rear springs and just get spacers for the front. My wife is actually into the idea because of Minnesnowta winters. I'm not sure if you can just by front spacers only - maybe springs all around is the way to go.
So that picture shows the vehicle uloaded with custom rear springs and custom rear bags at 10PSI.

I corresponded with Greg Pilling (Greg@traxda.com) with Traxda. He can built a custom height front spacer for $129 (retail is $172).

I was planning to do the front as well, but when I load down the rear with a lot of cargo, I can maintain a little bit of rake and the van drives great. Additionally with my rear toe/camber issue actually corrected by the rear lift, it’s hard to want to mess with it.

I attached pictures of it totally packed with the following luggage at 20PSI in the bags.
5 people
6 bikes
Balance bike
Trail behind bike
Bike trailer
Stroller
Grill
Chainsaw
Power tools
All our clothing, toiletries and entertainment for 2 weeks/1,200 miles.
*We averaged 18.5 MPG doing 70-80MPH

F3E85AB0-B392-485B-8E0F-E95E999B6BA2.jpeg

I’ll be loading it up for a camping trip and pulling a pop-up trailer in a few weeks. I’ll be reducing the axle weight by putting some cargo in the trailer, but it will increase the tongue weight. I’ll be interested to see how it sits and how much air I’ll need to add to the bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just got back from a camping trip with the whole bike rack/pop up combo and we didn’t scrape the hitch once! I had the bags at 30 psi and the ride quality was great. With the added height and capacity of the rear springs it was smooth sailing.

Unless I go with a full dual receiver WDH setup ($1000+/-), I can’t swing a front lift. I would just end up Baja’d out when towing, which is what I was trying to correct in the first place. So I’ll be leaving things as is for now. Which means I’ll continue to grit my teeth when scrapping the front end in certain parking lots...

On a side note, we averaged just over 17mpg while towing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will start my project thread soon but wanted opinions. I am installing the Journey's kit and airlift 1000 but wondered while I had it apart if I should beef up the rear shocks. I would only want a little increase, not as much as 22ranger. I installed a 675lb receiver and plan on having a RIGd Supply Ultraswing tire carrier (full size spare) with a Kuat bike rack. ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I will start my project thread soon but wanted opinions. I am installing the Journey's kit and airlift 1000 but wondered while I had it apart if I should beef up the rear shocks. I would only want a little increase, not as much as 22ranger. I installed a 675lb receiver and plan on having a RIGd Supply Ultraswing tire carrier (full size spare) with a Kuat bike rack. ?
I’d say if you plan on hauling all that, you should probably go with custom coils in the rear. The weight carrying capacity and trim height are two different specs that then effect the spring rate according to CSS.

And again, they screwed up the specs on mine and it ended up with more lift than intended.

Would you still use a fair bit of the rear Journey components? Maybe skip the spring cups but use the rest?

I considered just going with the Traxda spacer up front to complete my lift. But I’ve got too much weight going on in the back end for now.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts