Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
I guess I got lucky. Being in South Fl. might have helped since no salt and such on our roads. No winters! A few taps on the squared part of the hub was all it took to remove the axle out of the carrier housing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just did this with a carbide reciprocating saw blade. Bought the van with 146K and noticed the inboard passenger CV clamp was missing and grease was splattering out. Shoved some grease in and and tie-wrapped the boot back on but on the last long trip I noticed a shuddering/vibration in the steering wheel when accelerating from 40–70mph. The guy who made youtube video #pb67N-asQUs that explains how/where to cut the axle shaft replaced his axle for the same reason. Figure about four hours on the ground, without a lift, although my van is a CO/NM car with little rust. The vibration is now gone. Some notes:

• Need a 30mm, 12pt deep socket to get the axle nut off. The nut stake is impossible to remove so I just used my HF Earthquake 1/2 impact and wimpy, 85psi compressor to get it off.
  • The axle has to be cut on both sides. There isn't enough play in the axle shaft to lift the carrier bracket away from the locating pins otherwise.
  • Once the bracket was off and in a vice, took about five whacks with a 5lb sledge to get the axle/bearing out of the bracket. Cleaned the bracket ID with a Dremel and emery paper drum. Slathered anti-seize on the carrier ID in case the axle has to come out again.
  • Bought the new Carquest axle from Advance with 20% off Labor Day promo code. I hope it lasts.
  • The new axle has a 6pt, 32mm axle nut. Autozone loaner axle socket set included both the 30mm and 32mm sizes.
  • That plastic tit at the end of the carrier bolt is about 4mm or 3/16" thick.
Very nice write-up and pics. Using your advice plus others posts on this topic. My 07 Sienna CE (353K miles) recently started front end shakng on acceleration starting around 45 mph. Mech replaced the ds side cv axle cause found play...no joy! Now mechanic will R&R passenger side cv axle. Using Advanced Auto Carquest parts cause of available online discounts. I'll give a report on completion of job.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Very nice write-up and pics. Using your advice plus others posts on this topic. My 07 Sienna CE (353K miles) recently started front end shakng on acceleration starting around 45 mph. Mech replaced the ds side cv axle cause found play...no joy! Now mechanic will R&R passenger side cv axle. Using Advanced Auto Carquest parts cause of available online discounts. I'll give a report on completion of job.
The passenger axle is very long. Any play in it causes that long shaft to shake a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
350K, 1st replacement. Got my ps cv axle r&r'd. Carquest, Advance Auto. Support bracket froze, but mech knew what to do. Driving really smoth again!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. What year is your Sienna? I used Carquest also from advance A, I believe I have over 25k on mine so far, done 3 yrs ago. I see your username..I take it 07
cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just want to throw an idea out there in the hope it might help someone...

We might be facing this job, so I'm reading up and discovered what a bear the passenger axle support / carrier bearing to remove from the bracket.

Studying the photos it looks like there might be an easier way to remove the bearing from the bracket using wedges. It looks as if when the axle is turned so that two of the cv joint corner "points" lines up with the support bracket retaining clip flange (lip?), you could drive a pair of steel splitting wedges between them on both sides (180 degrees out). Using alternating hammer blows on the wedges might extract the bearing from the carrier.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Maybe. But you'd be wedging the CV joint against the bearing, which I think would be counterproductive. It might get that bearing out an eight of an inch or so, which would allow it to be removed the rest of the way by just yanking on the shaft.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The tool that is a life saver for this job is an air hammer. An air hammer will break that bond between the CV axle and the bracket with no problem. Took me replacing two of those bastards to figure that one out. I took my grider to both of them to cut the axle, then on the second I figured out the air hammer to release the bracket once I had the axle out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The tool that is a life saver for this job is an air hammer. An air hammer will break that bond between the CV axle and the bracket with no problem. Took me replacing two of those bastards to figure that one out. I took my grider to both of them to cut the axle, then on the second I figured out the air hammer to release the bracket once I had the axle out.
Maybe on a sun-belt Sienna. My Southern New England van got every possible approach, including the air hammer, and the only thing that actually worked was for me to surrender my pride, take it to a shop and have them torch the bracket into pieces to get the half-shaft out, followed by a new bracket from Toyota.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So you fid the passenger side 2 times before the 3rd one with air hammer... Just curious, how many miles did these passengers cv axle last, assume its regular auto store part with lifetime warranty... Ir no??
Reason is i just replaced my passenger cv axle woth napa part lifetime warranty ones and it works but now i can start to feel some clunk or little play in them.. Havent checked it yet as long as its running..

What brand passenger cv axle did you put in and how many miles it lasted and what damaged on each one of why it needed replacement.. Serms a lot of cv axle for seinna unless parts are not ladying or you got tons of miles..??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Maybe on a sun-belt Sienna. My Southern New England van got every possible approach, including the air hammer, and the only thing that actually worked was for me to surrender my pride, take it to a shop and have them torch the bracket into pieces to get the half-shaft out, followed by a new bracket from Toyota.
You could have cut the shaft like most of us and then press or slam that bearing out of brackets on a bench.. What i did.. Works
I don't think theres any need to torch or destroy apart the bracket itself.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 33 of 33 Posts