Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
My guess is that it keeps the bearing from rotating in the carrier. Why it has that plastic tit on it, IDK.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,352 Posts
The bolt is rubber tipped and in addition to keep the bearing from rotating in the carrier as suggested by roader I think it might be some sort of a dampener as well ?

·
Registered
Lifted 2005 XLE with 235/65/R17
4 Posts
I just replaced the driver's side and passenger side CV axles on my 2005 Sienna. This thread was very helpful. One item that hasn't been mentioned in the CV axle seal on the passenger side. I don't believe that mine had one, but it may have. Wondering if I should have put a CV axle seal where the axle enters the transmission. There is a touch of transmission fluid leaking from that spot. Not sure if it is residual fluid from the change or if there should be a seal there.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My guess is that you have a seal installed. Without a seal the transmission fluid would pour out after a few miles of driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That makes sense. I started to feel nervous when I saw some CV Axles with a seal/ dust cover that was visible on the shaft of the axle when it was installed on the vehicle. Maybe the one on mine sits inside the opening where the axle goes. Probably should have replaced that.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Oh, it's missing the dust cover. No big deal. My guess is that there's one on the passenger side to keep rocks and sticks away from the seal when driving off road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No dust cover on the transmission or bearing side of the passenger cv axle. I know it originally had one covering the bearings, but I couldn't get it off of the original axle and the replacement didn't come with one. I could try to fabricate something, but my street mechanic thought it was fine without.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,352 Posts
There is a dust cover on the passenger side and with replacements this cover can be tapped in to be closer to the axle seal. I made the mistake of not renewing the axle seal when I replaced the passenger side axle and had to redo the entire thing again due to a leak. Done at 150k miles. There is a bearing protector (?), at least on the aftermarket one ( Carquest from Advanced Auto) as shown in the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Journeys Off Road lift kit on my 2005 Sienna. The guys there recommended OEM CV axles... or refurbished OEM CV axles from O'Reilly. I opted for the refurbished. They did not come with a dust cover over the bearings like the original. There was no dust cover on the transmission side on the original or the refurbished axle, and I didn't think about replacing the seal until everything was back together. Contemplating taking it all apart and replacing that seal on the transmission side. Ugh. Do you happen to have a part number / description for that axle seal?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts