·
Registered
314 Posts
Reactions: derpicknicker

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
What do you all think about this? Recently I was at a gathering and one guest had an 05LE. I inquired as to how the van was doing and was told that the van has 230k miles ,needed shocks and the only big concern were two overheating occurrences. Additives were added to the cooling system after the first time but it overheated again. The fix was a new radiator cap. Now, I never thought that a faulty cap could lead to an overheat of the engine. But what he said made sense in that coolant was lost and probably led to the overheat. I suppose there is a lot pressure built up in the system. On that note, a few months ago I decided to look at my cap and the rubber had deteriorated , looking frayed and powdery to the touch. Perhaps you should check yours

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
I think that putting additives in the cooling system without diagnosing the cause of overheating is premature, and could lead to other problems like a clogged heater core.
I quite agree with you!!

Reactions: derpicknicker

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think that putting additives in the cooling system without diagnosing the cause of overheating is premature, and could lead to other problems like a clogged heater core.
That’s the understatement of the week! Putting additives in the cooling system anytime other than a last ditch effort to keep an old and falling apart vehicle on the road for a few more months is a terrible idea.

-Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will be handing over my 05 Sienna to my mechanic next week to do a timing belt/water pump install. I am at 109k miles and was advised, on and off the forum, to consider doing the radiator soon as well. To my knowledge nothing is leaking but I will be going on a multi-month, multi-thousand mile road trip and thought it might be better to get it done before hitting the road. (I also have access to a very reasonably priced master mechanic next door)

I also thought that since the coolant will be drained maybe it makes sense to just buy all the coolant I need and have both jobs done. What do y'all think about this?

Thanks for reading this. Have a great day!
I have a 2006 Sienna with 248,000 miles on it so I have driven to the moon Im trying to drive it back! But any way mine has the plastic side tanks and it would eat radiators every 6 years like clockwork. The Aluminum ones should last a lot longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s best to replace the radiator at the same time as doing the timing belt, thermostat and water pump. The cost is nominal compared to the risk of a catastrophic failure during a trip. In my other forums ( Sequoia) replacing the radiator is standard practice. I have 287k on my Sequoia and have always replaced the radiator when doing the timing belt/water pump. I also agree that OEM is best. Enjoy your travels!

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 05 the coolant was leaking between the fins and both side tanks. It wasn't leaking onto the ground, just the red crusty evidence.

My mechanic went with a cheap no name radiator that each time lasted about 18 months. (swapped out under warranty). They finally put a decent radiator in and it's been fine.

My mileage when it started to leak was 150,000.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will be handing over my 05 Sienna to my mechanic next week to do a timing belt/water pump install. I am at 109k miles and was advised, on and off the forum, to consider doing the radiator soon as well. To my knowledge nothing is leaking but I will be going on a multi-month, multi-thousand mile road trip and thought it might be better to get it done before hitting the road. (I also have access to a very reasonably priced master mechanic next door)

I also thought that since the coolant will be drained maybe it makes sense to just buy all the coolant I need and have both jobs done. What do y'all think about this?

The other day I stumbled on to a new coolant that Jay Lenno that comic uses in his mega collection. Its a once and done coolant brand is Evans. No water added. Just a hair more expensive but the manufacturer/inventor and Lenno convinced me. Its a bit arduous as one had to get all the water out of the system... hence the argument is hard to make things rusty! The liq is also a little more viscous so may loose a little omph, but it does get the machine warmed up faster, and it transports heat better so once at operating temps its better able to transport the heat. Just a thought. Dunno how old your battery is, but may think of changing that if nearing 4 yrs or longer.

·
Registered
26 Posts

If you have the money for that kind of PM then it's a good idea. However, I had a '99 and I currently have an '02 and both cars were over a 160k before my radiators failed.
HOWEVER, I'm in Orange County California and cars are not exposed, either internally or externally, to the type of more severe/extreme type of operating conditions as in other parts of the country, especially when it comes to temperature swings, that can stress systems and materials more.
If you do the changing of the hoses thing, don't forget that hose that runs laterally along the top of the engine. At least there's one on my 1st generation, I don't know about yours. But if you have it, it's one that people tend to forget about...as well as their PCV valve.
Best 👍

·
Registered
1 Posts

Not a bad idea. My timing belt (04 Sienna) was done at 100k miles. The radiator was replaced at about 160k miles so you may be able to hold off or do it now for some piece of mind. Also, my Sienna is in the shop now for timing belt/H2O pump replacement and he's having problems having parts delivered. Belt and pump are installed, waiting on motor mount (which typically needs to be damaged to perform this job). So, I would recommend having your mechanic get all parts before starting the job, even if that means having to pay for the parts first. My Sienna has been in the shop for 4 days now waiting on parts. Good Luck!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had my radiator replaced at around 70k miles or so...it was leaking off the side seams weld or tack joints...I replaced it with a KOYO model and now has 250k or so...and so far no leaks and perfect... Couple of yrs ago....I changed out the top hose, thermostats and the Plastic long pipe thermostats housing which will crack, break and leak sooner or later...most owners have replaced the Plastic pipe housing and thermostats and rubber Oring gasket...Also recommend new toyota factory radiator cap too....Use toyota factory one only... you can use Zerex red from Napa auto parts...

Remember Denso radiator sold at toyota dealers has 2 types...more $$$ is the japan version....cheaper is the chinese made Denso ones.... I believe one member here had problems with Denso ones from Rock auto,,,, I think there is a thread of it somewhere here on forum...... I would get the koyo if I were you.... Some said that Koyo was still made in Japan ones... you can check out Oreillys auto parts...last I heard or some other dealers.

As far as timing kit...use the Askin kit off rock auto which I did at around 150k miles...everything except the crankshaft and camshaft seals.... but now at 250k miles I will be replacing it soon with same kit plus I will replace the seals this time...

good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it’s VERY premature to change the radiator at 110k miles as preventative maintenance. That’s kind of ridiculous to consider, IMHO. Do change the coolant if it hasn’t been done before.

-Mike
Agreed, unless clear sign of deterioration. My 98 180k is fine looking, as are the hoses. Had since new and regrettably switched to dexcool at 2 years, then Prestone extended life at 11 years and forward.
2007+ they switched to plastic ends. I can't complain because I got 200k out of mine. I like the all aluminum construction on the 2005 better but I guess they still fail.

I would get a new radiator cap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agreed, unless clear sign of deterioration. My 98 180k is fine looking, as are the hoses. Had since new and regrettably switched to dexcool at 2 years, then Prestone extended life at 11 years and forward.
The 98 used a Delco radiator with plastic tanks top and bottom.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Remember Denso radiator sold at toyota dealers has 2 types...more $$$ is the japan version....cheaper is the chinese made Denso ones.... I believe one member here had problems with Denso ones from Rock auto,,,,
Parts by VIN shows two radiators for my '04:

16400RADIATOR ASSY
16041-0A3901$422.79
16041-0A400TOWING PACKAGE-FOR 3500LBS1$438.27

No tow & tow. I haven't had a problem with my tow Denso I got from RockAuto installed three years ago. RockAuto has a decent reputation for not accepting counterfeit parts, parts that sometimes sneak onto Amazon and eBay.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I had a crack in the thermostat plastic manifold tube that is very hard to even see. I would put a new one in if your changing the thermostat. My my mieage was 150,000 on a 2005.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts