Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI there,
So I did call Roof Nest and they assured me that the 140# Falcom would be fine with my 2019 Sienna 150# dynamic weight limit. I pressed in with the conversation saying some people had reported that they saw problems with the factory rails, but they said they have put a lot of tents on Siennas without issues. They agreed that having a third cross bar would make it even better, but they had no hesitation with just the 2 Thule Evo Wing Bars I have currently. I will put a third cross bar up. I will not put anything else on the roof of course, No awning etc...I may take out the mattress from the Falcom and put in an Exped instead to make it a bit lighter...but I will decide that once it arrives....I am experiencing delivery delays...
Hi Donna,

Did your Roof Nest Falcon arrive yet and have you had the opportunity to mount it on the top of your Sienna? Would love to know what your experience has been with the Roof Nest Falcon and the Sienna. Thanks.

Anthony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Donna,

Did your Roof Nest Falcon arrive yet and have you had the opportunity to mount it on the top of your Sienna? Would love to know what your experience has been with the Roof Nest Falcon and the Sienna. Thanks.

Anthony
Hi Anthony,
Yes, I have my Falcon on the Sienna now and am planning a camping trip next week when the weather improves a bit. So far it is all good and it drives well. Let me know if you are wondering about anything specific....I have gotten some great tips on the Roofnest Facebook site on modifications that improve little things about the tent and have implemented quite a few of them. Where are you at in your decision process and what are your specific concerns?
Donna

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Anthony,
Yes, I have my Falcon on the Sienna now and am planning a camping trip next week when the weather improves a bit. So far it is all good and it drives well. Let me know if you are wondering about anything specific....I have gotten some great tips on the Roofnest Facebook site on modifications that improve little things about the tent and have implemented quite a few of them. Where are you at in your decision process and what are your specific concerns?
Donna
Thanks for the reply Donna. Glad that you got your Falcon. Still holding off on getting one. I am concerned whether the Falcon would sit securely enough on the rather short roof rail (front to back). And although the Falcon weighs 140 lbs and it's with in the dynamic weight of 150 lbs, my concern is whether there could be any issues once you actually have two people in the tent. I forgot which forum I read it from but one post mentioned that a roof top tent caused big dents in the roof of the Sienna. But then, I can't remember which roof top tent they used and which generation Sienna. I am happy to hear that it's been good thus far and that it drives well. Hope you get to test it out camping next week. Please let us know how it goes. Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
6 Posts

So we put this Smittybuilt XL tent on our roof and traveled 3,000 miles with it sleeping 5 (2 adults, 5,3,1yo kids, maybe 450# plus the #140 tent) at least 7 nights. I was worried about the roof rail on the side of the van that supports the middle of the tent as there is some flex with the weight. I took of the roof rail cover in the back and the plastic internals made me more nervous. I started off by putting two wedges (wood door stops) together with a strap to create a mid-span support but honestly after a few very windy nights I stopped worrying about it an forgot the additional support. No problems to report. We had a blast.

One unrelated note, with our stuff, tent and bikes on the hitch, I did decide to add Air Lift 1000 Air Spring Kit to support the rear suspension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 49933

So we put this Smittybuilt XL tent on our roof and traveled 3,000 miles with it sleeping 5 (2 adults, 5,3,1yo kids, maybe 450# plus the #140 tent) at least 7 nights. I was worried about the roof rail on the side of the van that supports the middle of the tent as there is some flex with the weight. I took of the roof rail cover in the back and the plastic internals made me more nervous. I started off by putting two wedges (wood door stops) together with a strap to create a mid-span support but honestly after a few very windy nights I stopped worrying about it an forgot the additional support. No problems to report. We had a blast.

One unrelated note, with our stuff, tent and bikes on the hitch, I did decide to add Air Lift 1000 Air Spring Kit to support the rear suspension.
Thanks for sharing. That's very reassuring. If and when I get a roof top tent, I was also planing to fabricate a mid span support for the rails. But now with your experience, it appears it's not necessary. I read some reviews those air spring kits are not reliable and they burst easily. But if it survived 3,000 miles of travel with that load, then it's probably worth while getting it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts