Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hi Odd,
Previously, you posted some photos of your van before it had a lift. It had the 255-55r18 Contenentals installed, but no lift. I can't seem to find those photos. Could you re-post the photos please? Curious to know more about your impressions prior to lift. How did the lift improve and/or impair things?

Thank you.
Sorry it took so long, I had to dig through old folders to find these photos.

I remember that after adding the new wheels and tires that it drove so much better. The handling was significantly improved, I'm guessing due to the stiffer side wall.

It's tough to compare how it drives compared to before the lift because it's had a very annoying problem since doing the lift - there is a clunky coming from the steering when turning at low speeds. I dismantled the suspension numerous times trying to figure out what I messed up. It turns out it has nothing to do with my modifications, although they may have exacerbated the problem that was already there - the intermediate steering shaft issue that is a not-uncommon problem to our Siennas. $200 and 2 hours later and now there's no clunking.

The other problem it had was vibration at high speeds. I've gotten numerous wheel alignments and the issue keeps coming back. It starts out good but then gets worse again. Sometimes it's rather scary. I believe what the problem was is that Discount Tire, who I ordered the wheel and tire package from, did not put the hub-centric rings on the wheels. The Sienna hub is like 66mm, and the wheel hub is like 72mm, so it gave lots of room for error. Yes, the lugs could keep it centered, but they're not designed for that. So now that I added the hub-centric rings, it is driving much better, and staying that way. But there is still some vibration at high speeds, but I'm hoping it's just that the tires have worn unevenly over the time that the wheels were not properly centered.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h5jY7p]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h5jckz]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h5jY4i]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h5hqd9]

·
Registered
16 Posts
What do you guys think of this I recently put in a turbo into my van, and it flys, with z rated tires I hit speeds of 120 mph
Z speed rating
A Z speed rating indicates the tire has been approved for speeds of 149+ mph (240+ km/h) under optimal conditions. This rating is associated with maximum tire performance and is a match for performance coupes and sedans, sports cars, and supercars.
While speed rating is typically adjacent to the load index, and outside of (after) the tire size expression, the Z speed rating can be found within the structure of the tire size:
235/40ZR18
ad_3_1562109173422.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
2013 Toyota Sienna LE AWD, 18x8" +35 KMC wheels, Continental All-Terrain tires, 5mm wheel spacers in front, 15mm wheel spacers in back, red painted calipers, SE struts and shocks, LE springs in front, 25mm strut spacer in front, +25mm trim height springs in rear with +30% spring force, factory style fog lamps, rally lights in grill, HID upgraded headlamps with black painted trim, functional tow hooks welded to frame, torklift central 2" ecohitch, performance dual exhaust, wheel fender flares, matte black body graphic surround, mass balancing graphics, TRD 4x4 off-road decals.

*A special thanks goes out to 4x4Cal for all his help with designing the lift kit

Thats one mean looking machine ! Awesome!

·
Registered
5 Posts

I remember that after adding the new wheels and tires that it drove so much better. The handling was significantly improved, I'm guessing due to the stiffer side wall.

It's tough to compare how it drives compared to before the lift because it's had a very annoying problem since doing the lift - there is a clunky coming from the steering when turning at low speeds. I dismantled the suspension numerous times trying to figure out what I messed up. It turns out it has nothing to do with my modifications, although they may have exacerbated the problem that was already there - the intermediate steering shaft issue that is a not-uncommon problem to our Siennas. $200 and 2 hours later and now there's no clunking.

The other problem it had was vibration at high speeds. I've gotten numerous wheel alignments and the issue keeps coming back. It starts out good but then gets worse again. Sometimes it's rather scary. I believe what the problem was is that Discount Tire, who I ordered the wheel and tire package from, did not put the hub-centric rings on the wheels. The Sienna hub is like 66mm, and the wheel hub is like 72mm, so it gave lots of room for error. Yes, the lugs could keep it centered, but they're not designed for that. So now that I added the hub-centric rings, it is driving much better, and staying that way. But there is still some vibration at high speeds, but I'm hoping it's just that the tires have worn unevenly over the time that the wheels were not properly centered.

Good morning,

Beautiful and an inspiration. Did you resolve the vibration issues ?

[/QUOTE
Odd,

Beautiful and an inspiration, did you finally resolve your vibration issues. As for your lift did you use the method designed by 4x4cal or the journeys end kit. I thought that I read that you had to shortened the link by cutting and welding the parts together. I don’t have your welding skills , would the Godspeed adjustable link accomplish the same thing.

I’d like to approach the lift in a more incrimental fashion. Could you recommend a stepped approach that I could use. For me, I’d prefer a lift less aggressive than Journeys, although I’ve been very impressed with mikes support and willingness to answer all of my questions. Additionally he
provides the installation of his kit at a reasonable cost, which is another option

Thx,

Jim

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Good morning,

Beautiful and an inspiration. Did you resolve the vibration issues ?
Yes.

The thunk in the steering was due to intermediate steering shaft issue, not uncommon on these forums.

The vibration issue was solved by adding hub-centric wheel adapters that Discount Tire didn't add when I bought the wheels from them.

It now drives like new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
odd,
About your spare tire....it is a compact spare? What year/model mustang did you get it off? Looks like you probably have a bit over 29inch diameter tires...what size tire is on your spare to get close to that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi Odd
I am new to the chat thing. I have been looking at the great job you have done to your van. I have a 2014 xle awd with a Journey 3.5 lift kit. The suspension seems way to soft particularly on the highway.
do you think your mods could stiffin my vans suspension .If so where do get the heaver springs as i won't need taller ones.I also was wondering ,does the doors on your van make more creaking noises after the lift?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
odd,

can you provide details on the rally light installation? I want to add lights to my 05 XLE.

Thanks
Yes, don't do it like I did. I tried to get the hole in the grill to match the position of light assembly, but because everything is at angles and curves, the hole ended up oblong and oversized. So I then rigged up those rubber boots around the grill to hide ragged hole. I made a custom bracket to attached the fog light bracket to, but now that it's all done, the fog light bracket doesn't hold them firm and I periodically need to re-straighten them.

So I would just mount them totally externally next time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I see some cars with those behind the grille, maybe there are room allowing that?

Yes, don't do it like I did. I tried to get the hole in the grill to match the position of light assembly, but because everything is at angles and curves, the hole ended up oblong and oversized. So I then rigged up those rubber boots around the grill to hide ragged hole. I made a custom bracket to attached the fog light bracket to, but now that it's all done, the fog light bracket doesn't hold them firm and I periodically need to re-straighten them.

So I would just mount them totally externally next time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
odd,

Thanks for your quick reply.
Yeah, lots of curves and angles.
I have not found a sanitary mount setup. For many years I have added extra headlights/rally lights/auxillary lights to my vehicles. Started with aircraft landing lights in a Toyota wagon back in 1980.

When I get a clean setup designed and constructed I will post it.

Thanks,

Gregg

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I get numerous questions about my spare tire setup. It uses an aluminum 2015+ Mustang spare donut rim, with a Dunlop Space Miser T155/90D18 as the tire. The tire has a diameter of 28.5", which is close enough to the 29" diameter of my tires. However, I've never actually used it yet. I just throw it in the back when we go on trips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI Odd,
Your Sienna has been inspirational for my project as well. 2013 Silver XLE. I will be providing "before and afters" when the project is complete. I like yours quite a bit. Therefore, I am doing the following:

Journeys Off Road lift kit, replaced the stock wheels and tires with Vision 398 Manx wheels (17" x 8") and Nokian Rotiiva AT tires, black Rhinolining type spray-on rocker panel and fender protection, customer decals (yours looked so good I stole your vision for those), Rockford Fosgate Speakers throughout, Yakima Offgrid with large extension roof rack, installing a 2" receiver hitch with 4-pin trailer wiring, Husky floor mats throughout, Spyder Chrome/Smoke LED DRL projector headlamps, and projector fog lamps from CARiD.

That is what is definitely happening, but I have more on the long off horizon. BTW, although this is my first post, I have been following many mods that have been put up here. These mods were my muse for selling my much beloved 2010 Tacoma (modded up as well) for a more comfortable, user-friendly, surfing/hunting/mountain biking weapon. Thank you all for paving the way.
Looking forward to your project. I'm about to buy a 2011 Sienna AWD and lift it with the Journeys Off Road. Let me know how your project goes.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts