Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, NO! Not in this case. You simply refuse to accept the fact that defective component do exist. There will always be a few defective engines, transmissions, alternators, compressors, etc... There is simply no chance to ensure that each and every component produced is perfect. Not even in the Lexus world. Hence the warranty!
I didn't refuse to accept anything. I know anything can go wrong. I've been there done that with products over the years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I need help.

I have a 1999 honda oddity with 170K miles on it and it will not die.
Honda paid for a free replacement trans right at 100k, even thought the vehicle warranty expired at 3/36.

Vehicle still runs perfect, drives straight, and I really want a forcing function to get a new van.

What should I do?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
If your van is that reliable I would drive it until it dies. Why spend money on something that might not be as reliable.

Unfortunately the new Toyota's in my opinion aren't as foolproof as they once were.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I need help.

I have a 1999 honda oddity with 170K miles on it and it will not die.
Honda paid for a free replacement trans right at 100k, even thought the vehicle warranty expired at 3/36....
So the tranny died prematurely at 100k? And you are 7/10ths of the way to 100k on the replacement tranny?
Well then it seems you have 30k miles to decide what to do before the tranny likely craps out again, and I would not expect Honda to buy you a second one.

Or maybe it wont die.. just pointing out there are different ways to look at it. Glad you like the Honda. If they had not got so experimental with the engine and tranny to ekk out a few more MPG, and thereby leave unhappy customers in their wake, I would have bought Honda

And yes, I also think Toyota is not as reliable as they used to be.. and that goes for just about every other car maker also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just traded in my 2002 Odyssey EX that had 201,000+ miles. Air-con cold both front & back. All power devices worked, doors & windows. Had it for 13 years. Had tranny replaced at 170,000 because it started to sound like a turbo with a whine. Did all major service at the dealer and did the rest of the recommended services as recommended by the manuals. Went on vacation and it started to overheat in the California/Nevada desert. My wife and Indecided that the cost to repair and get 3 motor mounts replaced and new shocks and the 205k service was more than the car was worth. It served my family well and was a very low maintenance vehicle. Was bummed to give it up but the economics of it made sense. I bought the 15 SE-Premium because I liked the 19" rims and it's more aggressive look. Plus never had a Toyota product and wanted to see if this Sienna will be just as if not better than my 02' Odyssey. Used my money I was saving for my 2016 CAMARO SS convertible because my family needs took precedence over my wants. Put 1k miles and am very impressed with the soft ride and super quiet interior. Loving this new van and all its utilitarian capabilities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just traded a 2007 Odyssey EX-L for a 2015 Sienna. During the time I owned it, I had 4 factory recalls for such things as fuel pumps cracking, transmission re-programming, vehicable stability control problems, etc. it was a good thing I purchased an extended Honda Warranty on this vehicle. I had the master brake cylinder fail, power outside mirror fail, control arm issues, rollers replaced on both sliding side doors, binding window tracks on power windows, etc. all within 63,000 miles! The topper was a complete roof, hood, and fender re-paint due to peeling. The extended warranty was due to expire in 3 months so I got rid of that lemon fast. So much for Honda's bulletproof reputation!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2001 Odyssey drove from 200,000 now at 325,000 my son is driven it. Trany got replace once cost $1300 to rebuild, the rest was normal stuff A/C failure was pricey.

My 2002 Odyssey drove from 190,000 now at 280,000 still have it but im going to sell it soon (too many vans). Trany got replaced once and the rest was normal stuff. I much prefer the 2001's 4 speed trany to the 5 speed in the 2002.

My wife 2002 Sienna drove from 180,000 to 240,000. A/C failure and other normal stuff,

The sienna was much quieter and smoother and very reliable. But the Odyssey's were much more fun to drive responsive and agile. No question to me that the Honda's look a lot better inside and out, yep subjective i know.

Now ive been driving the two different 2005 Ody's with 200,000 miles on them and I have concluded the 3rd gen Ody's have more than there share of issues. The VMC issue sucks but it's a easy fix with a muzzle mod. Door issues, easy fixes but just that they require service. Also some can have crazy excessive oil consumption (related to the stupid VCM). Motor mounts can wear out quickly and cost $$$ (also related to the stupid VCM).

I haven't yet owned a 2nd gen Sienna but i think it's a better van overall. Less problems as far as i can tell (aside from the cracking dashboard), handles much better than the 1st gen Sienna almost as good as the Odyssey. Super quit and smooth. The cons are its exterior looks, i think it's because wheels being overly inset and the skinny wheels. The interior seems a bit flimsy compared to the Ody.

I drive 40,000 mile a year and only buy older high mileage vans, i think id be better off with the Sienna.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Folks.

My wife and I started this year out wanting a new minivan, mainly for her. We studied them all for several months, paying particular attention to what Consumer Reports had to say in their April automotive issue. I really liked the Odyssey's interior, handling, and overall appearance. Well, except for that triangular rear side window thing, which I truly dislike. After all was said and done, we selected the Sienna based in no small part on the fact that it was rated two notches higher in quality (less trouble) than the Odyssey, according to the April 2017 issue of Consumer Reports.

I hope we did well. I can never forget how that the best car I ever owned before our Sienna was a 1980 Honda Accord, which I bought new.

Happy Day. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have my 2007 Odyssey for 10 years now and plan on hanging on to it even though it's got 145,000 miles. I jus bought a brand new 2017 Sienna SE last week. Things good and bad about the Ody? Brakes are way undersized, it eats rotors, I've done a lot of pads and rotors on it. The AC systems are underdesigned, I've replaced two AC compressors and the AC doesn't blow as cold as I like. Things I do like? I think the Ody handles great for its size! I like the flip tray between the front seats since I carry long items. I like the second row seats folding onto themselves and how easy they are to stow/store. And I like the resale value of Hondas.

EVERY Honda I have owned has lost an AC compressor, the Honda source for these are terrible.

Time will tell about the new Sienna but I trust it will have superb reliability and the AC blows icicle cold.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Everybody is different. We all have different needs, and of course, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

I have a convertible I enjoy, but I've always had a pickup as a "beater". This past year, I managed to total a deer, and the insurance company then totalled my truck. I had a neighbour selling a very low mileage Nissan pickup with AC, but never enjoyed driving it. So, I thought about it, and decided that I would enjoy a minivan.

After doing internet and Consumer Reports research, as well as checking old Edmunds and other on-line road tests, and thinking about my budget, I decided that i'd get either a Honda Odyssey (3rd gen), or a Sienna (second gen). Started searching and driving both. Found the Odyssey to be quite a bit noisier than the Sienna, and I preferred the fit and finish of the interior of the Sienna. The Odyssey seemed to drive better, and the third row seat was somewhat faster/easier to stow. I did not like the sliding door track and seam on the side of the Odyssey, while I thought Toyota did a much neater job with the track on the Sienna. Finally, of the ones I drove, I found the Sienna to be tighter, with less rattles, than the Odysseys I drove.

I ended up with an 09 LE, with the leather, power seats, power sliding doors, and power hatch options. I'm a bit worried about the possibility of a repair issue with the VVT-I mechanism, as my VIN falls within the range, but at 53,000 KM, there are no signs of trouble. It does not burn any oil, or leak any other fluids. For a minivan, it has pretty good acceleration, but it is sure no sports car when it comes to steering response and braking. But hey! it's a minivan.

For me, the Sienna was the better choice, but with the possible exception of transmission reliability, the Odyssey seemed to be a pretty good choice as well.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts