Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed the Toyota OEM dashcam this morning, and for something so straightforward, it was actually a bit painful. You don't have to disconnect your battery actually. I definitely would if I were splicing any wires, but since you're just plugging one harness into another, there's no need to be so cautious IMO. My big issue was the paper template. If you line up the TSS cover, the line for the headliner lines up with the frits on the windshield (the painted black enamel) instead of the headliner. I didn't think much of it and proceeded to stick the baseplate where indicated, but as others have said, the very edge of the base plate adhesive ended up sticking to some of the template, which meant that when I removed the template, some of the paper stuck to the adhesive, which you could see from the outside. It looked very stupid. Popping the TSS cover off is easy, you can just put your fingers in the edge closest to the windshield and pull down. You don't have to disconnect the cover (I didn't). Passing the dashcam wire through the headliner and plugging into the blue harness is also easy.

However, when I slid the dashcam into the base plate, the position was wrong, so the harness protectors (the little hooks on back of the dashcam) were in front of the headliner instead of under it. I couldn't stand the thought of living with this moronic install so I took the dashcam off the baseplate and tried to remove the baseplate. That adhesive is strong, let me tell you. I had to use clear fishing line to get it off. Then I removed the adhesive and just used a few strips of Gorilla mounting tape and redid the install.

I actually have no idea how to be precise with the template without getting some paper stuck to the adhesive. I ended up eyeballing the camera position so I could mount the base plate without the template under it.

So there you have it, I hope I'm able to save a few of you from this misery. I hope your install goes better than mine did.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you everyone for sharing your install experience…finally got our dash cam installed (had to enlist the husband to pull the console down with more force and hold the console in place while I threaded the wire through)…I know not really a two person job (but it is in our household! 😅)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just wanted to report back, followed the instructions posted here and installed the OEM dashcam. I went with it over the Fitcamx because it does have parking mode, the fitcamx uses power from the rearview and can't stay on when parked. Tested out the video and it looks fine, I was worried that not being 4k would be a problem, it's fine. Getting it lined up is fairly easy, I read what other said about the using the paper guide, it's more of a guide, once you know where to place the camera, you just make it look clean. I only needed one zip tie to out the cord out of the way in the overhead console. No idea what the sticky foam they give you is, maybe you wrap it around the cable so that it doesn't rattle, not sure, didn't use it. The install went fairly fast, pull the overhead panel down hard.

I didn't bother to disconnect the battery before doing everything. One thing I noticed is that sound doesn't record automatically, you need to turn the sound on if you want it recorded, which is weird but video always records. The instruction manual says the sound should be automatic so maybe I have a setting wrong.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,157 Posts
Just wanted to report back, followed the instructions posted here and installed the OEM dashcam. I went with it over the Fitcamx because it does have parking mode, the fitcamx uses power from the rearview and can't stay on when parked. Tested out the video and it looks fine, I was worried that not being 4k would be a problem, it's fine. Getting it lined up is fairly easy, I read what other said about the using the paper guide, it's more of a guide, once you know where to place the camera, you just make it look clean. I only needed one zip tie to out the cord out of the way in the overhead console. No idea what the sticky foam they give you is, maybe you wrap it around the cable so that it doesn't rattle, not sure, didn't use it. The install went fairly fast, pull the overhead panel down hard.

I didn't bother to disconnect the battery before doing everything. One thing I noticed is that sound doesn't record automatically, you need to turn the sound on if you want it recorded, which is weird but video always records. The instruction manual says the sound should be automatic so maybe I have a setting wrong.

Nice!

The foam stickers are to wrap around the connector. I didn't know it either. However, same camera is used in Venza. It's instructions say it to wrap it around connector.

Abot the sound auto recording, you can set it to do so from app settings. I have it that way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice!

The foam stickers are to wrap around the connector. I didn't know it either. However, same camera is used in Venza. It's instructions say it to wrap it around connector.

Abot the sound auto recording, you can set it to do so from app settings. I have it that way.
Thanks, I went into the app and found where to turn on the sound. Ok, makes sense about the foam, it's pretty snug in there and I don't hear a rattle so I don't need it. I was surprised how easy it was to install. Looking at the instructions, I was worried about the headliner and how to get the cable through it, there's not much to it.

The silliest thing about all this is, I wish Toyota would go the Tesla route and let you record through all the cameras. I have a platinum and it has video 360 and you can't record any of it, instead you have to install a boxy camera in front, just to get a recording.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,157 Posts

The silliest thing about all this is, I wish Toyota would go the Tesla route and let you record through all the cameras. I have a platinum and it has video 360 and you can't record any of it, instead you have to install a boxy camera in front, just to get a recording.
They got another $250 out of you and me. Why would they they give it up! ;).

Seriously though, I have the same question, and wish it was possible.

·
Registered
2021 Blueprint Sienna Platinum AWD “The Cruising Vessel”
70 Posts
Anyone buy the Thinkware U1000 front and back? Any tips on a clean install?
I got the Redtiger F7N front and rear dash cam. It has similar features as the Thinkware U1000 but fit my budget much better. I didn’t hardwire it though. I just plug it into the outlet under the center console and tucked the wires across, up, and back to the middle to hide them. It was easy to install, and it works great so far. It would be nice to get it hard wired some day so I could have monitoring while parked, but I’m glad to have the camera rolling when I’m driving.

161 - 170 of 170 Posts