Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Those wires should be for power and ground. I would connect them all. But if you're using an aftermarket camera you may not need to go through all the hassle I went through, as that was due to needing to connect a stock Sienna backup camera which is 6V. Your Eclipse camera probably requires 12V to begin with, no?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh, well if it's factory then 12V>6V is a good idea but if 12V then of course not necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for the great write-up. I was able to follow this to install my Pioneer AVH-4000NEX in my 2013 Sienna XLE with factory NAV while retaining the factory backup camera.

Scosche dask kit

Monster cable, only the best!

The wiring harness

Steering wheel control box

Steering wheel control plug and play and retain factory AUX IN port

12V -> 6V converter

USB retention cable

I used these to tap the video + / video -, backup camera power, and reverse gear sensor in the van so I didn't have to cut and splice any wires.

The only word of warning I will give you is if you have factory NAV like I did you might not be able to use any of the dash kits. My trim piece for the factory stereo was all one piece with the vents molded in!

I actually had to buy a different factory trim piece to make this all work, part # 5540508020B0. It's about $235 from a dealer new, but I managed to find one for $100 used from an auto recycler on eBay.

Overall I'm happy! It was a bit more than I wanted to spend to install but I'm excited to have Carplay back in my road trip vehicle!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for the great write-up. I was able to follow this to install my Pioneer AVH-4000NEX in my 2013 Sienna XLE with factory NAV while retaining the factory backup camera.
Looks great! Glad to hear it worked out for you. Thanks for sharing your install pics too.

I also found out about the different dash trim you need if you have factory navigation when I was trying to put it all back together, and had to pay $200+ to get it from an online dealer since I didn't want to wait at the last step and it didn't seem easy to find. If I could do it over though, I would have used some of those wiring harness adapters so that I didn't have to cut all the original harnesses to make the connections and splices. Guess it doesn't matter too much though.

I've thought about getting a CarPlay HU too but I really don't want to mess around with the HU at all for at least a few more years. :)

Enjoy your new stereo, looks nice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently installed a kenwood deck into my 2012 Sienna se. Followed all the instructions and everything works perfectly except that my kenwood deck has a back up camera button that you can press for 3 seconds while in any gear or driving and the rear camera will come up. With my current install I am able to get the camera to come up but it shuts off after some time. I tested to make sure if it happens after going certain speed but could not determine it since it randomly shuts off. Any ideas how to bypass this?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I recently installed a kenwood deck into my 2012 Sienna se. Followed all the instructions and everything works perfectly except that my kenwood deck has a back up camera button that you can press for 3 seconds while in any gear or driving and the rear camera will come up. With my current install I am able to get the camera to come up but it shuts off after some time. I tested to make sure if it happens after going certain speed but could not determine it since it randomly shuts off. Any ideas how to bypass this?
I have a Kenwood too (see my sig for specific model) and I know what feature you're talking about. I am able to use it in my Kenwood (I assigned it to the "tel" button I think and it shows the rearview camera view continuously until I toggle it off) so not sure why yours doesn't stay on. I do use a little bypass device so that I can play DVDs on the monitor while driving (for my kid to watch on the rear monitor) but that isn't involved with the rearview camera at all. What model Kenwood do you have? And it comes on and stays on when you're in reverse?

You could also try calling their customer service. I think I called them due to some issues with DVD playback with my Alpine rearseat monitor and IIRC they were pretty helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey it's an old kenwood DNX5120. I just grounded the parking wire which bypassed the DVD mode while driving. I didn't have to do anything else for that. But rear camera is pissing me off. These are the instructions thatch i followed. Everything works. Both screens come up while in reverse.
(Black) pin 3 - Reverse signal. This becomes 12V signal when transmission is in reverse. Check it with tester if you have one.
(Black w/ Silver dots?) pin 14 - Video+. Center connection on RCA plug.
(White) pin 15 - Video-. Shield of RCA plug.

So can you tell me where the tel line got connected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been going at this for 2 days in my 2014 Avalon. I understand that I need to provide 6v via a 12->6 step which I have for the OE camera. I'm trying to get that camera to work with a new Kenwood hu. I've tested every lead in the factory harness and CAN NOT find a pin that changes voltage when the car is in Reverse. Could the stock radio be receiving the Reverse signal encoded through a BUS or something similar? I cannot understand how the stock unit sensed when the car was in Reverse for the life of me. Any insight?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is correct to assume that those with a LE that have that little screen to use as the backup monitor will not need a step down converter when installing a new head unit ? I figure since the little screen will continue to power the cam and I will be just tapping into the video signal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bump the above question. I am about to install an aftermarket HU into a 2014 LE with stock backup camera to the little monitor. I expect to tap into the video signal and need to wire the reverse signal to the new HU.

If all that is correct, do I get the reverse signal from the stack monitor? Or do I get it from the reverse light in the bottom left side of the dashboard?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
mods: please delete

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Is correct to assume that those with a LE that have that little screen to use as the backup monitor will not need a step down converter when installing a new head unit ? I figure since the little screen will continue to power the cam and I will be just tapping into the video signal.
10 months late, but yes I believe you don't need to convert 12V>6V if your stock back up camera feeds that little screen above the dash.

Bump the above question. I am about to install an aftermarket HU into a 2014 LE with stock backup camera to the little monitor. I expect to tap into the video signal and need to wire the reverse signal to the new HU.

If all that is correct, do I get the reverse signal from the stack monitor? Or do I get it from the reverse light in the bottom left side of the dashboard?
You have to identify which wire in your stock wire harness is the reverse wire and then connect that to the stereo's reverse wire. I did this so long ago that I can't remember how I identified the correct wire but it was probably one of those wiring diagrams from the Toyota tech website (that you have to pay to access). The wiring can change from year to year so to be safe I would check the wiring diagram for your specific model/year/trim.

2. Connect the reverse wire (from the stock wire harness) to the aftermarket HU's reverse detection wire to display the video from the backup camera when in reverse.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts