Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sure, glad you found it helpful! I found this technique on a youtube video as a way to install speakers in otherwise difficult locations simply by installing them into the (gutted) old/stock speakers. That said, even so there aren't many (I only really found one, which is the one I used) speakers that are shallow enough to fit. I recommend you give it a try, because it's very doable even for a first attempt at something like it. You just need some standard tools and you can probably do it in less than an hour even if you take your time. It's easier if you use the factory speaker wire of course also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shout-out to OP h4Idol for this great write-up. I did this replacement with some JVC CS-DR621 6.5" 2-way speakers that were on a special from Crutchfield and this how-to was immensely helpful.

There are a few videos on youtube on how to get the front door panels off but this was basically the only place that had so much detail on the rears. Thanks for taking the time to help us all out.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Shout-out to OP h4Idol for this great write-up. I did this replacement with some JVC CS-DR621 6.5" 2-way speakers that were on a special from Crutchfield and this how-to was immensely helpful.

There are a few videos on youtube on how to get the front door panels off but this was basically the only place that had so much detail on the rears. Thanks for taking the time to help us all out.
Sure thing! Thanks for the shout out, glad to hear it was helpful. And also nice to know that there are some other speakers thin enough to fit in that ridiculously shallow space. :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all...thanks for write this up. Very useful!

I just wanted to add that I just completed this using Pioneer TS-A1674R I had from an old car. No fit problems using the factory speaker mount again. Also, that grey "tab" does break easily...just wanted to show another pic of that tab so you know what to avoid! Just pull the two panels together at the same time and you should be able to avoid breaking that. Sad face indeed! but it still does all close up acceptably.

Thanks again for this post!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hey all...thanks for write this up. Very useful!

I just wanted to add that I just completed this using Pioneer TS-A1674R I had from an old car. No fit problems using the factory speaker mount again. Also, that grey "tab" does break easily...just wanted to show another pic of that tab so you know what to avoid! Just pull the two panels together at the same time and you should be able to avoid breaking that. Sad face indeed! but it still does all close up acceptably.

Thanks again for this post!

View attachment 45828
Glad it was helpful for your install! I've finally gotten over the broken tab but it was quite annoying for it to happen the first time. Thanks for posting the pic, it will help others avoid breaking it hopefully.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sure thing! Thanks for the shout out, glad to hear it was helpful. And also nice to know that there are some other speakers thin enough to fit in that ridiculously shallow space. :cool:
Thanks for the write up! I just got a 2014 sienna a few months ago and was thinking about upgrading the back speakers, but keeping the stock HU (for now). As for back speakers, is there a max size of speakers I should be looking for to make sure they will fit? The Kickers you mention CS654, are discontinued now. So I didn't know if I go for the updated Kicker model (46CSC654) or the JVCs, CS-DR621 6.5" nizos mentions. I'm a newbie on replacing speakers. Just want better sound in the back so the kids stop complaining they can't hear, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks for the write up! I just got a 2014 sienna a few months ago and was thinking about upgrading the back speakers, but keeping the stock HU (for now). As for back speakers, is there a max size of speakers I should be looking for to make sure they will fit? The Kickers you mention CS654, are discontinued now. So I didn't know if I go for the updated Kicker model (46CSC654) or the JVCs, CS-DR621 6.5" nizos mentions. I'm a newbie on replacing speakers. Just want better sound in the back so the kids stop complaining they can't hear, etc. Thanks!
Sure, glad it helped (or rather, that it may be helpful in the future)!

For the speakers, I think the important spec to check for fitment is the "top mount depth." I don't recall, or probably never knew, what depth is the max, but the discontinued 46CS654 that I used has a top mount depth of 1-13/16". The newer version of those speakers, the 46CSC654, have a top mounth depth of 1-11/16" so I would guess that it should fit too. It's a pretty cheap speaker like the older version and probably won't sound great but should at least be better than the stock ones. Other people have tried other speakers with success and you can find them in some of the above posts, although not sure which ones are still sold and available. I searched Crutchfield originally because they have such detailed info on speakers so there may be others that will fit too.

One thing that will make likely make a big difference also is installing some Dynamat behind the speakers, but that would require pulling off the side panels completely, and there is already limited space, but it may be worth considering when going through all the trouble in the first place. I plan to open it up later this summer just to install Dynamat.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't finish reading all the post and ordered JL audio 6.5 for the rear speakers. Now I have the fitment issue with the two 10mm bolts. Does anyone have experience removing the two bolts? Is it a must to have the two bolts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay I switched the wires and it definitely sounds better. Now I'm itching to add an amp and get a little more overall volume..I am pretty certain though
that when I went to reinstalled the speakers that the magnet pulled the speaker right out of my hand and stuck to the wall. I just hope it isn't a problem
How much do these help the overall sound from the driver's seat? I will hardly ever have anyone in the middle or back seats. I just want better sound stage in the front.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I didn't finish reading all the post and ordered JL audio 6.5 for the rear speakers. Now I have the fitment issue with the two 10mm bolts. Does anyone have experience removing the two bolts? Is it a must to have the two bolts?
The two bolts are not that hard to remove. I was able to take them off using standard ratcheting socket wrench (10mm) and pulling back the side panel without removing it (it is easier of course to do it with the side panel off but IME it is a PITA to put those panels off because they are large and have so many clips, some of which are really hard to insert properly in the holes they go into). I'm not sure how important they are but they don't seem to be connecting any parts together as far as I could tell so "probably" okay to remove them.

How much do these help the overall sound from the driver's seat? I will hardly ever have anyone in the middle or back seats. I just want better sound stage in the front.
They're decent but nothing to write home about. However, they are quite small compared to what most probably have in the front and so you probably have to turn up the rears more to get a better soundstage. I do the opposite though as they can't handle bass that well at louder volumes so I turn down the gain for the rears so that I can pump up the front speakers more. It's a pretty easy upgrade though so I think it's worth it if you are using aftermarket speakers and headunit (+/- amp).

41 - 50 of 50 Posts