Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Varible Valve Timing Oil Line Failures 3.5l V6

When facing the front of a 2008 Sienna, on which side of the engine is the VVT-i line located? Is it routed to the right side of the engine anywhere when facing the vehicle? I'm chasing an oil leak and would like to eliminate the VVT-i line.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: Varible Valve Timing Oil Line Failures 3.5l V6

The problem oil line is about one foot left of the mid-line of the van when facing the front. In order to see this oil line, you need to remove the plastic cover sitting on top of the engine (this cover just pulls off and can then be snapped back on). You then need to lean way over to the rear of the engine compartment to look down at this rear bank oil line.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2008 sienna; I was unaware of this problem and this weekend on a dark long stretch of road, oil light comes on...pull over..oil everywhere and none left in crankcase according to dipstick. no warning, nothing..by the time i could make it to the side of the road and shut off ignition, lots of noises like diesel detonation coming from it. 58,000 miles, well cared for according to toyota maintenance schedule...had to have it towed, rent a car drive several more hours to destination. waiting on word from shop in the town where it was towed to. Thanks toyota for the recall notice or at least notice that this could be a problem...not!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for advice.

Have a 2008 model year (Limited) Sienna that we bought in October 2007. Original owners with 84K on it now. Well maintained by me with Mobile 1 since new. Moved to a new state since buying but always updated info with Toyota. Was driving on a 200 mile trip when I notice smoke out the back, slow down and can smell burning rubber...pull over and shut off engine. Look under hood and oil everywhere but can't tell where it's coming from. Had wife start it to see if I could tell where it's coming from....couldn't tell but sounded fine.

Had it towed to dealer, got a loaner, and kept on our trip. Got a call a couple of hours later and the service advisor said there may be 2 issues but won't know about the second until the first is repaired. The first issue is the vvti hose burst but he won't know the extent until they get a new hose in a couple of days (over memorial day weekend) and put it on. The second issue was that the top of the motor may have been starved of oil, which would mean new cams, gears, basically the top of the motor to the tune of $5,900...he said this was worst case scenario. I said when it was running on the side of the highway, it sounded just fine and he said it was down 2-2.5 qts and when they started it there it make some clacking noise. I didn't think about it at the time but WHY WOULD THEY START IT not knowing what the issue was? I think they started it to drive it into the bay instead of pushing it or towing it.

I have not talked to them yet since thinking about this but expect to talk on Tuesday morning when they open. I'm 100% confident if I put a replacement hose on while on the side of the highway, I could have continued on my way meaning I am 100% confident the motor was fine when it went on the flatbed.

After researching, I found this thread (and many others). I was never notified of any service campaign. I did receive the recall for the spare tire cable but live in NC and have 0 corrosion underneath so didn't bother bringing it in. Is a LSC only an passive campaign? Meaning, Toyota doesn't actively advertise it or send notification? I wouldn't be happy about it, but could see having to pay for the replacement hose since I missed the window, but if the motor is shot b/c the dealer started it without knowing what was wrong, I'm going to be seriously pissed.

I'm not sure if the motor is shot yet but if it goes down that road, what recourse do I have? Should I open a case with Toyota of America? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did not bother with the dealer whatsoever, I was not interested in another rubber line. Where mine failed was at the clamps, they apparently wear through the rubber and allow a leak. What it took for me to get to the two bolts securing the steering pump was a breaker bar. The flexible head allowed me to not only get a socket on the bolts but also by angling the handle out I was able to get enough swing movement to break loose the bolt. You have to release the belt from the pump pulley first though. The tensioner is tucked up and to the right (toward the front of the engine) of the steering pump. A 14mm box end on the center of the tensioner turn counter clockwise to release the tension on the serpentine belt. After you get the two bolts out, the pump may not want to immediately come free. Rather than pry on aluminum, I used a 17mm socket on the banjo fitting for the pressure line and used that force to pull the pump away from its mount on the engine block. Hope that helps you guys, I am 51 years old and was able to get it done. Hard thing for me to say it may be our last Toyota, but that kind of penny pinching maneuver of using rubber line and also to take so long to take action doesn't sit well with me. Nice van and we love it, especially now.
sejose, please help as I am trying to replace the rubber line with the all metal line and am stonewalled with getting access to the bottom part of the VVTI line behinf the power steering pump. I managed to remove the two 14mm bolts with great difficulty but the pump will not budge. I cannotfigure out if there is a third bolt holding it as well. I may have to re assemble everything back to the way it was and give up on this job. I am 58 years old and my faith in Toyota has really been shattered with this VVTi line fiasco. I took my vehicle in to Grapevine Toyota and they said that Toyota says that my VIN # is not covered by the LSC which ended Mar31 2013. I really do not want to put another rubber line back on there just to have the line or clamp fail within 2 years.
Can someone post some insight as to how the Power steering pump on the 2008 Sienna can be moved so I can get to the bottom of the VVTi line 17mm banjo fitting.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
sejose, please help as I am trying to replace the rubber line with the all metal line and am stonewalled with getting access to the bottom part of the VVTI line behinf the power steering pump. I managed to remove the two 14mm bolts with great difficulty but the pump will not budge. I cannotfigure out if there is a third bolt holding it as well. I may have to re assemble everything back to the way it was and give up on this job. I am 58 years old and my faith in Toyota has really been shattered with this VVTi line fiasco. I took my vehicle in to Grapevine Toyota and they said that Toyota says that my VIN # is not covered by the LSC which ended Mar31 2013. I really do not want to put another rubber line back on there just to have the line or clamp fail within 2 years.
Can someone post some insight as to how the Power steering pump on the 2008 Sienna can be moved so I can get to the bottom of the VVTi line 17mm banjo fitting.
Here is a link to pictures from a Higlander. Maybe it's the same as the Sienna?
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-2nd-generation-2008-2013/432008-diy-replacing-rear-bank-vvt-i-oil-line.html

Regards, JC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2008 sienna; I was unaware of this problem and this weekend on a dark long stretch of road, oil light comes on...pull over..oil everywhere and none left in crankcase according to dipstick. no warning, nothing..by the time i could make it to the side of the road and shut off ignition, lots of noises like diesel detonation coming from it. 58,000 miles, well cared for according to toyota maintenance schedule...had to have it towed, rent a car drive several more hours to destination. waiting on word from shop in the town where it was towed to. Thanks toyota for the recall notice or at least notice that this could be a problem...not!
If your light came on, you have engine damage since the light does not come on until there is almost no oil in the car. Did Toyota fix the oil line and engine damage??? If the incident happened on or prior to March 31, 2013, you were covered by an "extended warranty." If you were lucky enough to have purchased your Sienna after April 1, 2008, you were covered by the factory powertrain warranty

·
Registered
48 Posts
You may be able to see if the recall work was done by signing up for the Toyota Owners website. I did that with my vehicle to see the service history that Toyota had on my VIN, and this was (thankfully) in the list.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In Pelos and ericreyn's photos, there is a light-colored bolt head near the center of the image. In the photo from Pelos, beyond the bolt head you can see a grimy (leaking!) oil line with a bit of rubber tubing held by a spring clamp.

The photo from ericreyn is rotated, as if looking over the van's right front fender. In it you can see the same bolt head. The oil line beyond it, however, is the better all-metal version.

The location of the images is the top right (passenger-side) part of the engine, just behind and below the upper engine mount. Both images were taken with the silver plastic engine cover in place, but the VVT-i oil line is a bit easier to see if you remove that cover.

·
Super Moderator
4,404 Posts
You can either just change the small section of rubber, or go all the way and order the full metal line that became standard on the 2010-2016 models.

·
Super Moderator
4,404 Posts
There seems to be some debate on the exact time of changeover. Other users of 2GR-FE engines are still showing up claiming that their 2009's have the hybrid line. My late 2008 did too. So to be sure, I just say 2010+.

We also have no way of knowing (for sure) if the more recent failures reported were from the NEW fluorinated rubber, or old rubber that was never changed. There are even claims that those that responded to the campaign and 'supposedly' had their's changed out might have been the victim of either fraud or incompetence at the hands of their dealerships, as it appears that old markings were still evident. Either way, I changed mine over to the all-metal when I owned the van. One less thing to worry about.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts