Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just experienced discharge issue as well on my 22 XSE AWD with less than 3000km. It was -5C (-15C overnight). Will try disabling kick sensors for now. Cell reception is also weak where I park.
Does anyone know how to disable the kick sensors on the side doors? I went into the dash menu and was able to disable for the PBD but the same setting was greyed out for the Left and Right PSD.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Having the discharge issue on my 2022 sienna limited. Happens randomly, 4 times in 3 months. Just parking it overnight and coming back the next day it can be dead. Dealer has had it twice, replaced the 12v battery. Still happens. Not sure about the first two times, but the last two times it died after driving through snow and parking overnight. I grab a meter and check voltage in the battery in the mornings now. Most days it's acceptable 12.4-12.6v (should be more like 12.8v), on "dead" days it's 11.7v or less. A few days ago, I measured 11.7 and it was too dead to start...told me I wasn't pushing the brake pedal...so some sensor or controller wasn't getting enough voltage to function. As soon as I gave it a boost from a charger, everything powered right up.
I've had my Sienna start as low as 10.3 Volts in -20C weather. But it's dicey! It failed to start at 9.89 in similar weather.

i usually park my Sienna when it reads 12.6V

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Sienna XSE awd
22 Posts
Just wondering, anyone experience a similar situation with the 2021 Sienna? I have the 2021 model. I got the vehicle back in July 2021. But since then I have jump started my car at least 10 times since then due to battery not enough charge to start the vehicle.

I have gone back to the dealer to check but they say battery has no issues. They say I may of not drive the car enough. Which may be true. I only get to drive it 2-3 short trips a week now adays. But my driving habit is the same with my previous vehicle(non-hybrid). And I never had a problem. So I am wonder if my car has the same kick sensor issue like the 2022 models.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Just wondering, anyone experience a similar situation with the 2021 Sienna? I have the 2021 model. I got the vehicle back in July 2021. But since then I have jump started my car at least 10 times since then due to battery not enough charge to start the vehicle.

I have gone back to the dealer to check but they say battery has no issues. They say I may of not drive the car enough. Which may be true. I only get to drive it 2-3 short trips a week now adays. But my driving habit is the same with my previous vehicle(non-hybrid). And I never had a problem. So I am wonder if my car has the same kick sensor issue like the 2022 models.
Turn off kick sensors and test it out.

Make sure no connections loose although would think dealership checked.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
699 Posts

Do you park in an area with little to no cellular service, particularly with the carrier that Toyota uses. (in the US, the carrier is AT&T, not sure if it is the same in Canada). The vehicle can go into a mode where it is searching for cell service. This uses more power than when it has found a tower with service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone come across a 2022 sienna that has to be jump started almost every morning - especially in the cold? Dealer couldn’t recreate the problem when we brought it in. Is there something that we are doing that is draining the battery? It’s not the lights we are militant about making sure the dome/map lights are off.
thanks,
Andrew
Hi there have you figured out the issue yet? We have a 2022 with the same problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Disabled all 3 kick sensors in February after three dead battery experienced. No issues since in 5,000 mi /2 mo. We park in area of poor cell coverage and sometimes leave car undriven for 2 weeks at a time and those do not seem to be the cause of the battery drain Sensors sure seem to be the cause of drain. Now for Toyota to step up and correct the problem which I assume is a software upgrade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Disabled all 3 kick sensors in February after three dead battery experienced. No issues since in 5,000 mi /2 mo. We park in area of poor cell coverage and sometimes leave car undriven for 2 weeks at a time and those do not seem to be the cause of the battery drain Sensors sure seem to be the cause of drain. Now for Toyota to step up and correct the problem which I assume is a software upgrade.
Were you able to disable the sensors yourself or did dealer had to do it for you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone come across a 2022 sienna that has to be jump started almost every morning - especially in the cold? Dealer couldn’t recreate the problem when we brought it in. Is there something that we are doing that is draining the battery? It’s not the lights we are militant about making sure the dome/map lights are off.
thanks,
Andrew
Hi, has the dealer solved the issue? I'm having the same issue. Battery has been charged, replaced, and now same issue again.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, has the dealer solved the issue? I'm having the same issue. Battery has been charged, replaced, and now same issue again.

Thanks
The biggest theory, at least here in Canada is either the DCM is continually searching for a cellular connection to the Toyota satellite, or that ice and snow, or possibly mud on the kick sensors prevents the sensors from turning off.

My battery died 15 times in December and January, but when I made an effort to wipe the ice and snow off the sensors on the rocker panels, battery stopped dying.

Disabling the DCM could work but be fore-warned, this will disable the hands free microphone.

I was at my Canadian dealer last week, and there is no word on a kick sensor fix.

There is a DCM fix in the USA but not in Canada for the 2022 Sienna. Although Rav4 and Highlanders got a DCM fix for 2022 in addition to the Camry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're right. There are 2 batteries. First is the Traction or High Voltage battery that is used to drive the car as needed. These are under two front seats. The 2nd is the traditional 12V battery that is used to power the computers that manage the drivetrain. For reasons that are beyond my purview or understanding, Toyota needs 12V battery for the car to function normally.
Lights, computers etc require 12 volts - Changing the traction battery (300 + volts) to 12 requires electronic conversion in the form of an inverter and transformer. In regards to the battery, I have it on good authority that the kick sensors when blocked will drain the battery - This is caused by dirt or more likely snow,

81 - 100 of 104 Posts